9mm not ejecting

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, Jul 30, 2012.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Ok, I started shooting some reloads that I whipped up. 6.7 grains of No.7 under a 115 FMJ bullet for 9mm and they failed to eject all the way. They would jam up after every shot. Checked OAL and it was fine. Switched to some reloaded JHP and no feeding problems at all (except for 1 where I forgot to seat a primer). Before I pull them all any ideas what happened? Not enough powder? People I was shooting with said that it may be too much powder.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

DixieLandMan:

That load is an Accurate Arms starting load and may be too light for your gun. The limits are 6.7 to 7.8 grs of AA#7 for a 115 gr FMJ bullet according to the load data on their site. I think you would be safe to load them up to 7.2 grs of AA#7. Try that to see if the gun then cycles.

Semi-autos are a balancing act between the recoil and the mass of the slide along with the force of the recoil spring. If the recoil spring is to light the gun gets beat up and if it is too strong it won't handle light loads. I think you might be in this latter category.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

LDBennett
  3. Hugh357

Hugh357 Member

Had the same issue with Alliant Power Pistol in my XDM9mm 3.8"(5.3 grains). I had loaded up 300 rounds and took a good sample outside and 5 out of 5 hung up. Back to the reloading table and I pulled a cross section sampling of the loaded rounds and pulled the bullet and measured each charge of powder. They weighed 4.3, +or -, grains. I felt ridiculous so it was pay back time for NOT paying attention. I pulled all three hundred bullets, RCBS puller, and had to reload all three hundred rounds a second time. The bullets were Berry and the puller deformed them enough I did not feel comfortable in using them again. The second reloads worked just fine. Duh.
    I have been reloading for years. I always have been careful but familiarity can breed contempt.
    I could have screwed me up, my gun or both for not paying attention. I use the Pacific Beam sale. (No longer in business). I check it out from time to time and it is right on. I have been eye balling the RCBS electric powder measure and dispenser. It is on sale at Brownells but on sale it is still $275. I am totally non electric on my reloading and if the power goes out I am still in business.
    I live in the country and I am totally self sufficient. Heat with wood, own well and a lot of goodies. I am on the grid but if it goes down it aint no big deal. Are you ready?
  4. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I think I'm going to just pull the 150+- or so and make sure I have the correct powder charge. I thought I may have been too light but not too much powder.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally think AA7 is a tad slow for 115 gr bullets in the 9. It will need a fairly heavy charge to generate enough pressure to cycle relaibly. Might drop to AA5 with 115s or bump your bullet weight to 124 or heavier. With semi auto handguns with a tilting breech lock up pressure is everything. And I personally find high end charges tend to work best in the 9mm.
  6. LDBennett

JLA:

If you believe the Accurate Arms Reloading manual, AA#7 was developed for "NATO 9mm Carbine". Does that make it too slow for a 9mm pistol that uses the same ammo?

I have been using AA#7 for 9mm pistol for decades, almost since its introduction into the USA in the late 1980's. Their manual from the era allows 7.8 to 8.8 grains behind a 115 gr FMJ bullet. I settled on 8.1 grs.

The newest loading data from their web page says 6.7 to 7.8 grains. They have either changed the powder slightly or got religion about too high of a level for pressure with the old data. It could also be they got better pressure measuring tools and adjusted the pressure level down when the higher pressures we're revealed by the new equipment.

The bottom line is that AA#7 is not too slow for 9mm. It was developed for it. In this case the starting load used by DixieLandMan is too mild to operate his particular gun. Moving to a mid point may solve his problem as long as he stays within the modern load data.

LDBennett
  7. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

Personal guess (I wasn't there): Not enough oomph in the rounds to cycle the slide. Some springs are stiffer than others and require a little more power to cycle. I think that's what the issue with the Gen 4 glocks was? (i don't have one so that's just hearsay)

I don't use your powder and don't have data in front of me but assuming that you're starting at the lowest load that the data mentions, you just don't have enough pop in them. I load 5 at a time. for example: 5 of 4.5 grain, 5 of 4.5 grains, 5 of 4.6.... I take them all to the range and see what works. So if the 4.5 doesn't cycle you can make a note and keep moving til you hit the sweet spot of the round that cycles reliably and has just the recoil/accuracy you desire. Those charges are with W231 so don't use them for yours!

Too much powder COULD be the problem if you're up around the mid-max loads. If you're not near the mid-max loads I have a hard time believing you have too much powder in there. It could cause the cases to expand so much that they get stuck. Were the cases being extracted from the barrel? Are they stove-piping?

I say scrap your current load/recipe, go back to the load data and start at the bottom and work your way back up. Better to be safe than sorry.

one last thought: you're not limp-wristing it, are you? sorry, had to ask.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

LD, do you ever read anything thoroughly before you throw your "million years experience" at folks?? :rolleyes:

I not only said that it was my opinion, but I also backed it up with 'bump the bullet weight to 124 gr', which according to my research is the bullet weight developed for NATO use and AA7.. Which would reinforce my argument, AND OPINION, that AA7 is a TAD slow for 115 grainers in the 9mm. But then again, what do I know.. I use inferior Lee equipment and dont have a million years reloading experience.
  9. LDBennett

JLA:

AA #7 shows a listing for 115 gr bullets. Does that not mean they recommend it?

So it is your opinion that it is too slow for 115 gr bullets. Opinions are fine but what fact leads you to that opinion? As I remember it, when AA#7 was introduced there was no 124 gr 9mm bullets or ammo. Wasn't the move to heavier bullets in 9mm a lot more recent than the early 1980's. Maybe I got it wrong but that is my recollection.

AA#7 is perfectly usable for 115 gr 9mm bullets as AA themselves point out by having a listing of it. Because it works as well for 124 gr bullet doesn't mean it is too slow burning for 115 gr bullet. It only means it works well with both. If your preference is for heavier bullets and AA#7, that does not mean the powder is too slow for 115 gr bullets. It is only your PREFERENCE that makes your opinion that the poster should switch to 124 gr bullets in 9mm, but not a necessity for best performance.

What the poster should do is try AA#7 with both 124 gr and 115 gr bullets and see which combo HIS gun likes and not have AA#7 simply dismissed as too slow burning for 115 gr bullet.

Finally, as I pointed out, something has changed between the AA#7 of the early 1980's and the stuff you get today. The recipes given out by AA are different today and I read recently that the source of the powder has change once if not twice. The data I have from the early 1980's has a starting load that equals the max load today. So it may be a different animal today than it was in the 1980's when it was initially developed for the 9mm round of that era. I admit that I may be all wet about its usage in 115gr loads except that today AA recommends it for use with 115 gr bullets. It seems to me that if it were too slow burning then they would not do that. So user testing may be called for.

And that's my opinion!

LDBennett
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sigh..