9mm recipe. safe or not safe?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by socalfamous87, May 4, 2012.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

According to Hodgdon his load is under Min. According to Sierra his load is .2gr above Min . No need to pull or reduce as he is already below Min .
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

What brand of bullet are you using?
  3. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Every manual that presents independent load information is going to provide somewhat different "recipes" for a given load. When working up a new load it is always a good idea to check multiple sources to have a broader understanding of the guidance provided for the load in question. In the case of the OP's load, it is a bit short for my liking (although we don't know the brand of fmj and that could impact the how deep the bullet should be seated). However, based on looking at various data sources, if these were my reloads I wouldn't be concerned. But if socal is new to reloading and even a little bit concerned (which he probably is since he posted the question), then he should just pull 'em and start over. Always better to be safe, if in doubt.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

As I was not convinced that your 4.2gr of 231 with 124gr bullets seated to 1.075 was dangerous I tested the load myself in my Cougar 8000.

I loaded 20 rounds with 4.2gr 231 with 124gr Montana Gold FMJ bullets. 10 loads were seated to 1.135 and ten at 1.075.

The first ten rounds were 1.135. These rounds cycled the action fine with very mild recoil.

The next ten rounds were 1.075. Again action cycled fine and again very mild recoil.

I compared the felt recoil of these loads with my standard range load of 5.5gr Unigue with same bullet. These 231 loads had much less felt recoil. I would not call them "Buddy Fart" load, but they are pretty close.

Brass and primers look fine. I did not run these over my Chrony as I was pressed for time. I will load a few more and run a velocity test.
  5. The Count

The Count New Member

Time for a reality check...Does it really matter if a 9mm bullet will go 100 fps faster or not? Does the paper care? No. Will it make a difference in self defense? By itself also not. Just stick to published max loads and end of story, those guys already went though the trouble to come up with min/max loads and OAL. No need to reinvent the wheel.

PS Benchrest rifle shooting is an entirely different story of course.
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Not sure what you are referring to, but this thread is about a below minimum charge of 231 seated rather short. The OP was concerned about the safety of his load not the velocity.
  7. The Count

The Count New Member

You are right. Just putting in my 2 cents worth anyway....
  8. JerryLP

JerryLP New Member

Pull the bullets. Always be safe. I pulled an entire new box of WWB 9mm once. I wanted new, primed, never-fired brass to use for working up loads. If you consider the time to pull 50 rounds as time-wasted, maybe you've got the wrong hobby.