9mm reload problem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dsfritz, Dec 26, 2009.

1. dsfritz

dsfritz New Member

I just got started reloading 9mm's for my wifes Walther PPS. They are not feeding at all. The range master noticed that the cases were bairly clearing my head on ejection.
    We have not had any trouble at all with factory ammo.

I have loaded the following:

Rem 115gr. fmj

TiteGroup powder

3.8gr with Federal Mag primers - 1.150 COL
    4.0gr. with PMC standard primers - 1.150 COL
    4.5gr. with PMC standard primers - 1.160 COL

4.8gr. Titegroup is listed as the maximun load

I have been using TiteGroup in my 40cal and 45 reloads without any trouble.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

Lee manual lists a min OAL of 1.125.

When you say not feeding? magazine or bore problem?
  3. dsfritz

dsfritz New Member

It is not taking round out of mag into bore.
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Crimping??
  5. dsfritz

dsfritz New Member

Yes, I am crimping.
    Im begining to believe the problem is a combination of the low charge and speed of the TiteGroup burn. These are the first reloads I have made for the PPS and I was concerned about overloading do to the warranings in the guns manuel. Im going to try a few rounds with HS-6.

I did notice a large difference in recoil with these reloads vs. factory rounds. (Reloads had less recoil)
  6. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

OAL is probably too long.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

dsfritz:

What you may be seeing is "Short Cycling". The slide is not recoiling enough to pick up the next round. You have to add more energy to the slide to get it to travel fully. If it doesn't recoil far enough, the next round can not feed up because the slide is in the way.

Sounds like the load level is way too low. Load up some at various levels, not exceeding the Max listed load, and test them.

I don't know if your gun has a lock open feature on the last round fired but if it does just put a single round in the gun and fire it. If the gun locks back the load level is sufficient. If not then it is not. Do watch the spent cases for signs of too much pressure.

LDBennett
  8. medalguy

medalguy Member

LDBennett is right. Your load is too low. When I was working up a load for my Beretta 92 in 9 I started very low, as usual, and the first group would not even push the slide far enough to pick up the next bullet. I increased the charge slowly until I got a velocity close to what I was after.

In short, start increasing your charge until you get satisfactory cycling of the pistol. I would also highly recommend using a chrony to see what velocity you are getting. I would bet your current load is probably about 700 fps or maybe even lower. Factory should be about 1050 fps. A chrony is something I consider an absolute necessity in working up any load.

One thing you did right was start low. Too many guys start high thinking that will work fine. Sometimes it doesn't! :eek:
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Your COAL seem to be longer than my data shows, try seating 1.135 and crimping. This may be contributing to your situation as well.
  10. Horsky1911

Horsky1911 New Member

Just to add some input. The COL for a round nose is listed at 1.150 in my Lyman manuals and also my Hornady. I have just reloaded some 9mm 124 gr. FMJ-RN with 4.0 gr of Unique which is min charge. Have not shot them yet but will let you know how they function. I am thinking the firearm is short stroking as LD has stated.