1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.9mm reloading question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I am starting to reload for my .9mm pistols. I have purchased all I need to do so. My question is I am using Berry's round nose FMJ bullets and there is no crimp groove. Is there any thing special I should do when I crimp these ? I have the Lee delux 4 die set with the crimping die. I will be loading with Unique powder and 115 grn bullet.

Deacon-Man
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You only need to taper crimp 9mm enough to take off the flare. Then, LeeFCD as the final step.
  3. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I don't understand LeeFCD as the final step. What does LeeFCD mean ?
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I have the Lee 4 die carbide set.........and I don't use the crimp die at all....with no issues.

The reason being is:

There is a guy that lives right down the road from me that has been reloading for 40 years or so...many of those for competition shooting.....and he has been helping me a lot with reloading. He explained that for pistol caliber reloading it isn't important to crimp the bullet in place......the pressure from seating the bullet in place is enough. (He also explained that this does not apply to rifle reloading....that you must crimp them)

Now this may not be what other reloaders do, but I have not had any issues doing it this way.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

autoloading pistol cartridges headspace on the casemouth John. Bullets for autoloaders do not have crimp grooves, you simply seat them to the proper OAL and set the taper crimp to a specific OD at the mouth. Lee FCD stands for Lee factory crimp die. It is the final die you will use to finish your ammo. Taper crimp your 9mm rounds to .376" at the casemouth. Adjust that measurement by turning the adjustment knob on the die clockwise a tad at a time until you get that figure with your caliper. Be sure to measure right at the casemouth on the case, not the bullet.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

LeeFCD means Lee Factory Crimp Die. The Lee Factory Crimp Die (LFCD) is the last step in the reloading process and is die Number 4.

You do not want a bullet with a cannelure for the 9MM or any other cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth. The Crimp is not really a crimp as it is not set into a cannelure or cut into the bullet. The "Taper" crimp for the 9MM is applied only to remove the flare plus maybe a thou or two. The "flare" is applied with die #2 to open the case mouth to accept the bullet. This "Opened Mouth" needs to be shut with the application of your LFCD.
  7. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Thank you guys very much. I get lost with all the acronyms used on TFF. Yes I know I must crimp to remove the bell mouth on the caseing.

Thank you guys for the info.
    P.S. JLA, I still want to go shooting at your range someday.
  8. mitchell38

mitchell38 Former Guest

so the LFCD does something that that the bullet seating die will not? why buy the 3 pcs set if you need a 4 pcs set with the LFCD?
  9. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I use the Lee FCD to good effect. I won't get into an argument with those who hate it. If you choose to use one, great, but bear in mind, with Berrys and other plated bullets, you want a very mild factory taper crimp. You can use the seating die to also give a taper crimp - the instructions are in your Lee instruction sheet. Experiment. :)
    Berry's makes excellent plated bullets, have fun with them!
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

You don't need the FCD, but's it's really nice.

The FCD resizes complete cartridges to make certain that they will fit in the chamber of your gun (or any other SAAMI-spec gun). It's not necessary, but it helps to ensure that your ammo will work reliably.

People reloaded successfully for decades without it, but I use it for every caliber I load.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Bring it anytime. Im only about 45 minutes ride from you.
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Yes. The LFCD has a carbide sizing ring at the base and it also applies a taper crimp. I like it, but if it didn't have the post sizing ring I would still use it as I like to seat and crimp in separate steps. Adjusting the seating die to accomplish this is a PITA.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm with Steve all the way on that one. I damage so much brass trying to set up the seater die to crimp in the same step. :(
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the problem with using the seating die is when aplying a taper crimp theres no cannelure for the case to begin crimpig into. and what you usually end up with is a slight bulge at the casemouth where the case dug into the bullet as it was being crimped and seated to its final OAL. That is why I seat and crimp at separate stations for ALL autoloader cartridges. Revolver rounds are a different story as most bullets suited to revolver cartridges have a cannelure and when the seater is set to crimp the case is coming intot he cannelure as the crimp is starting to form and rolled into place as the seating depth is arrived at..
  15. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I could be wrong, but with Berry's I did not think you were supposed to use the 4th die. You have to be very cautious as the crimp can rip the plating. Make 5 or 10 and then go shoot. If the plating rips, you will find your targets have a strange star pattern instead of a circle. The plating will enlarge the hole.
    Also the 4th die is really only useful if you are going to reload for someone else's gun, because it removes the bottom bulge from the casing, but it has been just made to fit your gun perfectly, so why change it. Just my understanding and could be wrong. I am speaking for the Factory crimp die and that I believe is what the 4th one is, correct, if not disregard everything i just posted and accept my humble apology!