The Firearms Forum banner

9MM Revolvers Are A Great Idea.

3K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Lanrezac 
#1 ·
A flag has been hoisted by some reliable manufacturers for 9mm Revolvers. I could really go for one in a 4" barrel. Double action of course.

#10 ·
A friend of mine HAD one of the Charter Arms 9mm revolvers, he dumped it because he said the (detents?) holding the cartridges in kept malfunctioning and wouldn't eject properly. A spirited bout with their customer service, and down the road it went.
I never got a chance to shoot it, he lives a couple hundred miles away from me. I don't know if that's par, or if he just got him a lemon. He wasn't impressed.
He has another Charter revolver in .38 I believe, no problems with it, but .38's are rimmed.

#7 ·
Yes, they're a good idea on paper because

A) 9mm Luger is smaller but more powerful than 38 Special but

B) not as powerful as 357 Magnum, which has a lot of flash, blast, and recoil in a medium or small frame revolver, but they have two problems:

1) 9mm is rimless, which requires the use of some kind of trick extractor in a modern swing-out cylinder revolver

2) it is also tapered, which is less of a problem than being rimless, but still not really desirable for revolver. The extreme example of this problem was the S&W 22 Jet revolver. When S&W made their first 9mm revolver, the Model 547, they put a movable section in the recoil shield to support the cartridge being fired, perhaps because of that lesson.

The S&W 547 and supposedly the Ruger Security Six were made in 9mm with 4 inch barrels, but they are scarce and expensive today. Some Czech company using a name like "Project Alpha" is supposed to be making 9mm revolvers today, but I don't know anything about them.

#9 ·
I certainly enjoy shooting my old Blackhawk with the 9mm cylinder, but usually the cylinder sits on my loading bench as a "plunk" test object for re-loading 9's...The barrel is a tad too long at 7" for comfortable carry.

#12 ·
.45ACP revolvers, now there's a good idea! Oh, and the .357 magnum revolvers, there's another good idea! If 9mm revolvers were such a great idea they would be everywhere, and everyone would own several!:D

#14 ·
And still not popular!;)

#16 ·
On one of my visits with my LGS, I think if was last week, I ask him about a revolver that shot .45 ACP, other than the S&W Governor. He mentioned another S&W that shoots them but said the price was pretty high. I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago, but he mentioned that he could get me a SS governor cheaper than the blued ones. He said he could get me one for "only" $679 or something like that. I don't consider $679 any kind of bargain.

#17 ·
I know of two S&W revolvers that shoot the .45ACP, the 325, and the 625. They are both expensive! However, you can get the same performance with the .44 special.

#19 ·
That's a good enough reason! But you probably won't carry that Red Hawk much!

#25 ·
Back in I believe the late 1980s or early 1990sSmith & Wesson had a 9mm revolver that was built on the 6 shot K frame with a round butt, and I think a 3" barrel with fixed sights. Model 647 is what comes to mind. It had an extractor system that used long flexible almost wire like extractors that hooked the extractor groove on the 9mm brass, instead of the star pattern that most revolvers have. It was done to eliminate the use of moon or half moon clips usually used in using pistol ammo in revolvers. History has shown that moon clips are the fastest way to unload and reload revolver cylinders, watch the competition shooters using revolvers.

#28 ·
Twicepop, you are off by one on the model number of the S&W K-frame 9mm revolver. It was the Model 547, and was a very well made gun.

Some people just do not like moon clips as a way of reloading a revolver, especially the 3 round clips. Ruger made Security Sixes in 9mm that used moon clips.

HKS made speedloaders for the 547, but that was the only HKS speedloader I have ever broken. Probably just chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.