The Firearms Forum banner

9mm shell casing destroyed decapping pin

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
I reload range brass that comes from a private outdoor range as well as new brass. Last night, I was decapping and sizing some 9mm Luger shells. I placed a casing in the press, pulled the lever, hit something really solid and heard the decapping pin break. When I pulled the casing out of the press I found it had an unusual primer configuration. There were three small holes in the base of the shell and there was no way the pin would have gotten through the center one to remove the primer. I do examine shells prior to prepping and loading them but guess I got a little lax, looking only for errant media. Moral is be diligent when you reload range brass. Examine your brass closely and pay attention to the feel of the press.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the information. Upon further inspection, it turned out to be a steel casing. The casing was an odd color and had no rust showing as does most of the steel I find outdoors. However, I have found some brass casings will have a strange and permanent color (or patina) when it has weathered for a long time. I have no clue how this one eluded the rather large speaker magnet I use to cull out the steel prior to sorting the spent shell.

#9 ·
I recommend avoiding range brass. Whomever left it there on the ground may have had a reason for doing so. Today the cases you find may be steel or aluminum or who knows what. They may have used environmental primers of odd sizes for the caliber or Berdan primers which can break decamping pins.

Buy a large quantity of good brass of your caliber new and keep track of it (keep it off the ground with a brass catcher on your hand or next to the gun). That brass will last for decades and tens of reloadings. I did that back in the 1980's for my 9mm guns and still use that brass today.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.