9mm shortage

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by cheesewiz, Sep 15, 2012.

1. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Active Member

So I always try and pick up a box of ammo here and there . I have a new 9mm
    So the past three weeks I've noticed in half a dozen stores ( Gone ! ) I mean just a few boxes here and there. Bass Pro wiped out a big empty hole, a couple local stores ......a few boxes .....even Walmart pretty much cleaned out .

Now I live in a metro area in the southwest of 2 million ! The other day at Walmart the whole shelf of 223 .....empty .....!

40 cal much more selection. So what is going on ? I purchased the 9mm for just that reason , the long history and availability of this round world wide plus the military use over the years and the lower cost per round .

I saw this with the quality rounds of the 22 cal a few months ago . The CCI Stingers, Velocitors, Mini- Mag . I just got caught up with that now the 9mm.

So any issues where you live ? It's just odd in so many places. Yes I could go on line but the cost savings is lost in shipping .

Mark -
  2. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

this has been going on for the last year or more,, think they are trying to reduce our supplies. mostly reload all mine, but a couple wks ago went to visit a friend out of state,and (dah) forgot my ammo box. their local Wally world only 2 boxes of 40 on the shelf, asked for more but was told all they had. went back later that day and they had 2 more boxes on the self ????. told them i need 4 boxes, again they told me they only had the 2 ??? didnt buy any just wanted to see what they would say.
    think they are just worried about all "them dam gun nuts" buying toooo much ammo. :(
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    im pretty sure that the possibility of obamma the us bin ladin is part of the reason.the other part is the end of world scare. old semperfi
  4. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

My Walmart does that. They only put out a few boxes at a time.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Walmart up here wants to look like it sells ammo but they never have much. One time they even lost the keys. Its pretty evident they don't want to be in the ammo business.

Plenty of 9 at the gun shops. Everyone seems low on shotgun shells.
  6. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

Just came from my local Gander Mountain and they had lots of 9mm.
  7. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I never have a problem finding any ammo I need in my part of Ohio. Usually any caliber i'd need and any manufacture. I couldn't haul it all away if I had a dumptruck. Just stocked back up today on .22 LR for my son, 3000 rounds, and another 250 rounds of 9mm for my stockpile.
  8. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

Ammo is plentiful here. However, some of the manufacturers are having issues. There is definitely a shotgun shell shortage, especially the light target loads. Defensive handgun ammo is getting harder to get, but still readily available.
  9. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

I stop at Academy Sports once a month (at least) and pick up some. Yesterday was one of those days. Their shelves were stocked, although their selection of hollow points seems to be limited. They have PLENTY of FMJ's even in the large bulk packs. I bought 9mm, .45, .380, and .22 and there was plenty of each.
  10. UncleDannie

UncleDannie New Member

Shotgun shells shortages are due to Dove season. Duck and Geese coming up. just my guess, All other ammo available in plentiful supplies.
  11. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

If you want to buy say 500 - 1000 rounds, buy it online. I pick up odd boxes here at yard sales though :D

Did a small computer repair for trade - he paid me with a box of .38 special. The 'bill' was only $12

.32 S&W I get online at auction. As long as I get it with shipping for about $20 a box I'm happy.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Any gun or ammo shortages might be the Obama effect. As people think he might get re-elected they panic and buy guns and ammo, lots of it. Their fears may be well placed as this is suppose to be the term he will take on gun control, one way or the other (by law or edict, as he has already proven he can and will do edict).

If you like and want guns then be sure to vote AGAINST a second term for Obama. Your sitting on the side lines might assure him a victory. Every vote counts. and don't forget to support your local , federal, and state anti-gun control politician.

LDBennett
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Obama is, indeed, the most successful firearms salesman this country has ever seen.
    Guns, ammo, EVERYTHING is flying off the shelves here in TN -
  14. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

wally world here will have one or two boxes of 9mm or 45acp. Buy them and ask for more and they say thats all they have. A few hours later they are restocked with one or two boxes of each ???????????????????// Thats after you can find the person with the key that someone didn't loose or take home or other dumb excuse.
  15. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Active Member

The Walmart I frequent for ammo does a good job stocking and customer service believe or not. It's one of the top selling stores in the country but because of that the ammo flys off the shelfs here, no limit. Soon as they receive it, out it goes . It was just weird the 9mm and 223 got wiped out . They told me ammo comes in all the time and there was no set day really. Some days they have two clerks just for the sporting goods here .