The Firearms Forum banner

9MM Split Shell Case

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
The Ruger P-95 is a pretty tough gun but I'm glad nothing became of it.Any dents or cuts on the rim I toss out.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
flyingtiger85:

I have 9mm brass bought new and reloaded many more times than a dozen. It eventually fails much like the picture. There is no reason to toss it after just one reload.

I reload for 30 different calibers one of note is 10mm. When that brass leaves the gun (Colt Delta Elite-1911 style) it hits the slide hard enough to dent the brass. On my reloads you can count the number of times the brass has been reloaded by the number of smoothed out dents on the brass. It all has many more than half a dozen you can see. Some of those reloads were full power (10mm is really a magnum level cartridges when used at full load). I do not recall ever having a split case with the 10mm. The cases that split most often are 38 Spl. It must be the brass thickness as the load levels I reload the 38Spl to is on the bottom end of the scale.

The bottom line is the failure pictured is common. You can reload handgun brass many times without problems if it is name brand American brass.

LDBennett

#12 ·
357 sig is the wost I've seen for splitting brass. I bought 150 lb of unsorted pistol brass and found maybe one or two .45 ACP or 9mm with split cases, but I'll bet there were 25 or 30 .357 sig with splits. Didn't see any .38 special or .357 mag with splits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.