9mm vs 40SW-which one and why

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by AdamMO, May 23, 2011.

1. AdamMO

AdamMO New Member

I buying either a Glock 34 or 35, and then am going to customize it to the hilt for a range gun. The sole purpose of this gun is for having fun at the range and accuracy. So my question is:which caliber is more accurate 9mm or 40sw. I know I can get some $1,500 Kimber or something like that, that will proabably be more accurate, but I am set on building the Glock. Is there an accuracy difference in the 2 rounds? Any one have experience with this? Thanks for your time, this forum has been a tremendous help to me and my hobby.:)
  2. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Neither will be more accurate. You could magnaport the G35 and reduce the muzzle jump alot. I had a G17L that I loaded hot for pin matches and it jumped more than normal store bought 9x19mm ammo. I had the barrel magnaported and it made a huge difference.

Dont get an imitator!! Get real magnaorting. them guys know what they are doing and you will keep the extra jump of the 40 down to 9mm levels. magnaorting also does not add much if any more noise.

Or get a 34 and do the same and be amazed at how flat that front sight stays. Nice thing about the G35 is you can get a 9mm barrel.

I am not a 40 fan at all but you can get the 40 and build a 9mm slide and have two guns on one frame.

Just a few thoguths. I would go 40, trick it out AND get a 9mm uper............
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I don't know of any inherent difference between the two rounds. If you're not a reloader, then the 9mm is the only way to go. If you do roll your own, then you can just pick whichever you want.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

9mm. Its cheaper to shoot and easier to get (some times) . 40's are snappy (yes on the glocks too) so they have a tendency to no be so much fun for just range use. People at the range always rent 40's and end up switching to something else 9mm usually bc the 40 is uncomfortable over time to them:rolleyes: Except the FN40. For some reason it don't feel like a 40.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id take the 9, never much cared for the .40. It recoils almost as much as the .45 and doesnt hit as hard. The 9 recoils half as much as the 40 and hits almost as hard. Plus with my mad skillz id could shoot em in the eye at 50 yds.. :D JK.. ha ha... not really;)
  6. AdamMO

AdamMO New Member

What exaclty is magnaporting? I was thinking about having a 6.5 inch barrel with a threaded on compensator. I looked at ported barrels and think that the compensator might work better and add a sweet look to it. Thinking I will go the 9mm route with the cost of ammo and the fact that the 9mm overall is much more mild. I mean, I have a 10mm for the times I want real knock down power, so if accuracy is the same, might as well shoot the cheaper and more plentiful ammo, right?
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

8. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I carry a .40, but if I was sticking to the range I'd go 9 for sure. Less recoil, cheaper, no inherent difference in accuracy that you will notice. What's not to like.
  9. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Jack,

Like the boomerang smilie. Now if you can find one twirling a bullroarer I'll be REALLY impressed.
  10. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I don't think either one is more accurate than the other, so if strictly for range work the 9mm gets the nod based simply on lower ammo cost and better availability.
  11. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Magnaport international, the home of Larry Kelly ( God rest his sole ) is about 20 miles from me. I have had many Shotguns ported and choked here. very professional and reasonably priced.

http://magnaport.com/
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the 40. But I like the 45 the best so...
  13. Warith

Warith Member

I am a bit more acurate with the 9 than the 40 but that is me. If just for the range then 9 all the way even rolling your own its cheaper than the 40.
  14. AmmoForSale.com

AmmoForSale.com New Member

If you shooting slow fire there won't be any difference between the 9mm and the 40 S&W. During rapid fire the 9mm is typically easier to control with all things being equal. If your generally new to shooting I would suggest getting a 9mm. Practice ammo will be cheaper and that will increase your accuracy more than any inherant accuracy difference.

PPK 32 Active Member

Shot a .40, felt good, hit good, but really didn't see any point in the .40 round. 9mm is very easy to get and cheap. At the time, I had a 9mm already, if I wanted I'd get a .45 before I'd get a .40. Just my 2
  16. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

It all depends on the gun and the GUNNER. My current "working" set includes ONLY those handguns that I am able to shoot and control well. I have one each in all the most popular handgun cartridges (well, two .45 ACPs) and have fired dozens of others - when or if you get the chance to compare different styles and configurations - you will find one that becomes part of YOU - that's the one to keep and use.
  17. AmmoForSale.com

AmmoForSale.com New Member

I only have one 40 S&W handgun remaining in my collection. I prefer the 9mm for affordablity and capacity. There is no difference in accuracy, although most shooters will say that they can shoot faster follow up shots with a 9mm.

I will say that during the post election run on ammo. The only stuff I could find with any regularity was 40 S&W ammo. That's why I keep at least one firearm in my stable chambered in the 40.

cluznar Former Guest

Range gun get a 9mm, less expensive ammo less recoil. What do you need great firepower at the range for?