1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

9x18 and 7.62x54 WW Factory Ammo...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/28/02 2:14:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 9x18 and 7.62x54 WW Factory Ammo...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...Has anybody seen any yet?

Last spring, Winchester-Western announced they were going to start loading 9x18 Makarov and 7.62x54R ammunition in several bullet types, in '01...

BUT, I haven't seen any yet, at shows, or even listed in SGN by any ammo suppliers...

What happened? It was announced in Guns and Ammo, in SGN, and other places, I thought we'd see it by now....it's been almost a year.

How long did it take for other recently announced rounds to hit the market after the announcement?

Just curious...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

AntiqueDr
    (1/28/02 2:24:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 9x18 and 7.62x54 WW Factory Ammo...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 7.62x54R is available in 180gr FMJ, the 9x18 is not yet available.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    (1/28/02 6:45:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 9x18 and 7.62x54 WW Factory Ammo...
    Boy, THAT was a stupid move...

With all the cheap decent surplus ammo available in FMJ, why wouldn't they make it available in SP first?

I'm sure with all the Mosin Nagants out there now, quite a few guys might want to use them for hunting, especially the carbines, but they will shoot the cheap stuff for plinking and target...and not worry about reloading.

I hope they don't decide to quit loading it because there is "no demand."

I hope to heck they don't do the same thing with the Makarov, I wouldn't dream of buying any FMJ with all the surplus stuff out there, but I'm sure they could come up with a decent Silvertip or something for a defense load that I would buy...I might even consider a JHP, but even those are available from Barnaul or S&B pretty cheaply...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/28/02 7:50:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 9x18 and 7.62x54 WW Factory Ammo...
    The 7.62 x 54R is actually S&B, just brand named for Winchester. The primer pockets are a couple thousand's shallow, and have drawn some complaints from some reloaders. I Use a Dillon progresive, and apply enought pressure to flatten enough to make acceptable.

The soft point ammo is also made by S&B, exactly the same ammo only soft point. So the bottom line is for hunting ammo, get S&B, for good fmj get winchester.