9x18 makarov

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 5:20:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 9x18 makarov
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A buddy of mine that knows I like "odd" guns,(around here that anything not made by remington, winchester, colt,etc.) gave me a russian made makarov. It is in great condition, except that the slide has been stripped of safety, firing pin and assume all of the parts that connect/operate the two. The sights are still on it, the extractor etc. My questions are.

1. How good are the russain maks compared to the german ones.

2. Would the cost of the repairs be more than the thing is worth?

3. Does anyone know where I could ship it to get it fixed.

Thanks
    Steve

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/8/01 6:35:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 9x18 makarov
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    YES, the Russians are good, as good as the EGs maybe.
    NO you don't have to ship it anywhere, they are a piece of cake to work on and everybody has parts.
    YES it'd be worth it!

Check out www.makarov.com they have everything you could need, and there are several companies listed in the last SGN with parts and parts kits. I'll look them up and get back to you.

But if you REALLY don't want it, just send it to me, I'll gladly take it off your hands for a fair price...

I'm a MAK man...
    Patina is a custom finish that must be EARNED to be appreciated.

Edited by: polishshooter at: 7/8/01 7:37:46 pm

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 7:29:04 pm)
    Hey,

If its good enough for a man thats earned a patina finish, its good enough for me.

Edited by: Chief 101 at: 7/8/01 8:38:16 pm

polishshooter
    (7/8/01 7:43:30 pm)
    Ok, Chief, how do you make the little laughing guy? I thought I had all the emoticons down...

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 7:47:22 pm)
    I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you

Steve

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 7:49:20 pm)
    colon lol

TallTLynn
    (7/8/01 7:51:00 pm)

Different name
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 8:00:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: 9x18 makarov
    I'm a owner of a Mak EG 9x18. Really is a sleeper. It likes me so much I can't keep it out our bed. I sent mine to Robar for exterior and interior finish and a trigger job. It can pick a fly off a jug of beer at 25 ft. faster than Shooter can flick it!
    A treat to shoot. Excellent concealed carry too. They are making 10 shot mags for all models now. Good ammunition is available also.
    Charlie D
    -----------------------------
    Had a accident in our neighborhood today...
    Neighbor's computer flat lined. With quick action we applied mouse -to-mouse resuscitation
    We're not sure yet but, we think it may have been caused by a "Poofdraytion Upgigiinsertional type virus" best we can tell right now.
    Sounded something like a heart monitor making noises trying to say ---I'm #1 eee I'm #1 eeeeee!

polishshooter
    (7/8/01 8:17:17 pm)
    Hey Diff, what do you use for sights?

My only complaint with my EG is you can't pick up that front sight quickly from a draw.

BTW, had my first FTF with mine yesterday, a Barnaul JHP didn't fire the first time, fired the second...don't know if it was just a stiff Russian primer or a light hit, but some Wolf and the cheap Tula FMJs went off without a hitch like always...

All I really need is a good front sight...there HAS to be some reasonable aftermarkets available for it by now...heck, I'm even getting to like those elcheapo black plastic grips...

Different name
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 9:31:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Polishshooter:
    Marorov.com
    They have listings of gunsmiths and equip plus accessories
    ---the sights I have are night sights (Flourescent three dot type) You can find many extra bells to make your mak sing at their site. Don't stop looking until you've looked and read everything. You can go 1 on 1 with their staff also.
    Let me know if you need any follow-up info and I will respond.
    Pictures on their site gives you some idea of upgrades finishes,
    and you can contact their suppliers direct also.
    Charlie D

------------------------

polishshooter
    (7/8/01 9:43:12 pm)
    Haven't been there in awhile, last time all they had were those Beast slides, can't see spending $150 on a $150 gun that's pretty good as is.

Good deal on those Pierce grips, though, always wanted to try them.

Funny, I just told Chief tonite on another thread about Makarov.com, but haven't been there myself in over 3 months!

I'd better go check it out...

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/5/01 1:56:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

The only thing I don't like on the Mak is the trigger!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (8/5/01 3:51:05 pm)
    Tac, the Mak trigger assembly can be polished and the springs changed or lightned. This will make a big difference on any Mak.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/5/01 4:18:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Sam,

I like the functioning of it but the hammer & trigger
    could use some improving as you suggested.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

WyomingSwede
    (8/6/01 9:44:12 pm)
    Tac...I agree with you on the mak trigger...but then again for the price you pay...well they are hard to beat. Mine is as accurate as I am. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede