A 1911 ejection port question...

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by glocknut, Jun 24, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

The most recent 1911 i bought has an ejection port that is different that the others. All the others have a kind of cutout that this one does not. What is that cutout for?

mike
    gn

Here's the one without the cutout...

Attached Files:

2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Here's the other 3 that DO have the strange cutout/beveled...whatever its called thing on the backside of the ejection port.

What's that for?

These are Lightweight Commander, Dan Wesson, and Kimber. And as usual...sooo sooo sorry about the pic quality or lack thereof.

Attached Files:

3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I think that the cutout is to prevent dings in the ejected brass. Without the cutout 1911 models can ding the brass on the frame as it is ejected.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

This is correct. Its to do with reloading, and avoids dings in the cases.

Looks cool too.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

correct, a "flared" ejection port is to save the brass from being dinged up.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The term I know is "relieved", not "flared", but yeah, what they said.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I believe you have been given the correct advice. My pistol does not have the same reliefe as yours do, mine was after market, and is just an elongated ejection port. They both do the same thing. The brass clears better upon extraction, and because it isn't hitting anything, no dings, no stove pipes!
  8. techoca

techoca New Member

Not to mention that along with an extended extractor, it helps to keep you from being hit in the head with the brass.
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Alpo, in the top photo the ejection port is lowered. In the second photo, the ejection port is lowered and flaired. :)

Techoca, I think you mean extended ejector.

The purpose of this modification is to get the fired case out of the pistol earlier in the recoil stroke, thus helping to prevent "stovepipe" jams. In actual practice, I’ve never had a problem with the standard ejector in full-size 1911s. The disadvantage of an extended ejector is that it may not always allow the ejection of loaded rounds, and you’d have to let them extract carefully down into the magazine well. If you must have an extended ejector, consider re-shaping the ejection port to allow clearance of ejected loaded rounds. On the Commander-length and Officer’s-length pistols, the extended ejector is a good idea, since the recoil stroke of the slide is shorter. Most of these pistols come standard with an extended ejector anyway, so it’s a moot point. Extended ejectors do hustle the fired case out of the pistol muy pronto, and every bit of hustle helps with the abbreviated pistols. It probably can’t hurt the full-size pistols except for the loaded-round problem, but it’s not really necessary, either.

Just FYI. :)
  10. techoca

techoca New Member

Shooter45,
    indeed, I mis typed!
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Learn somethin' new every day. So, that's why the Commander has a different shaped ejector than a Government Model? I didn't know why, I just knew that it did, and my Springfield and AMT full-size frames have the Commander-type ejector.

I wasn't sayin' oscar was wrong, just that in my neck of the woods, that's called "relieved".
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

yep that little cut is called flared or relieved, it is there to help with ejection more than with brass dings i think, the brass being in better shape is just an added bonus.

i think that with an extened ejector, the slide doesnt need to be flared because since the casing is ejected sooner, when the slide starts its foreward movement the casing is already out. but with a regular ejector, the slide sometimes will bump the empty casing out of the way since it ejects at the end of the recoil cycle instead of in the middle as with an extended ejector. course i might be misinformed, wouldnt be the first time.

i dont like with extended ejectors that you cant cycle a live round out a lot of times, what you can do to relieve that is bevel the inside of the ejection port towards the front of the port, just like the lower part is. You can also file the ejector face about 1/16 shorter and it will help, but not so short that it isn't extended quite a bit though.