A 22-250 custom build... and a shooting bag question.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Indy Bob, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

I have a custom 22.250 I assembled in 1965. I traded it to finance a hunting trip to CO. (Stupid). BUT WAIT ...... I got this rifle back in 1985 since the old country hardware store didn't sell it, and was taken to the owner's home an put in his private collection.....UNFIRED that whole time. Through the grapevine he said he would like to sell it and gave me first shot. (pun intended). :) I never shot competition, but always shot for the best group from a bench, covering 5 shot groups with a dime. (Beside a groundhog or 2). I am 71 now, and 47 years later, I would bet it has had only 500 to 600 rounds through it. (Photo attached is from 1985-86 I am trying to become "more serious" shooting from the bench now, I have more updated shooting bags now, As a result, have this question.

I read somewhere on this forum that placing the rear bag closer to the pistol grip, rather than to the butt end, can cause a vertical string of shots.
    I AM planning on trying that next time out ....along with baby powder on the bags.
    I believe that person's suggestion .......... but I cannot "visualize" WHY this happens since the stock has the same basic "angle" from grip to buttplate.
    Can someone get through to this old thick-headed Dutchman as to why the bag should be close to the butt as opposed to the grip area, to limit vertical stringing?
    Thanks,
    Indy Bob.

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I never had that issue and I shoot off bags all the time. I just slide the butt bag to where it puts the crosshairs on target and press the trigger, Which requires the bag to be in different places at different ranges. Shooting 200 yds the bag is close to the rear, shooting 100 yds the bag is close to the grip and shooting 250 I put a spacer under the front bag.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That a pretty rifle! And the cheekpiece is on the right (correct) side too. :)

Like JLA, I slide my rear bag back and forth along the stock to adjust elevation. Many times I don't have my rear bag in the truck anyway, so those times I use my off hand as the rear support.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep.

ball your fist and rest the rifles buttstock so it rides on the web of your hand and the 'channel' created by your thumb and fore finger intersecting. from this point you can make fine elevation adjustments by simply clinching or loosening your fist with minimal movement on the rifle. Major elevation adjustments are made by sliding your fist fore and aft between the pistol grip and buttplate.