A 9mm question...

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by glocknut, Oct 15, 2006.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yes, i know this has probably been discussed a million times before etc etc etc...but here it is anyway.

My personal favorite in 9mm is the winchester 115gr silvertip. But it is somewhat hard to find arround here.
    The local gunshop is selling Remington 124gr Golden Sabre
    by the 1/2 case "500 rds" and i don't know anything about that particular round?

I'm not wanting to stock the cheap plinking ammo, but rather the good stuff... the stuff that would actually be used in a defense situation. I've got plenty of the plinking ammo already....

Opinions on the golden sabre or other possible 9mm candidates would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mike
    gn
  2. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

One word.........( Corbon ) 115 grain.Ok that was 3 words.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

4. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

What's the deal with the Black Talons anyway?
    Why were they banned?
  5. southernshooter

They wern't banned
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Iron

From the best of my memory (getting worse every day) Winchester simply stopped production of the Talons on their own after feeling pressure by the tree hugger crowd, stateing that "The petlals expanded and cut rather than tear through vitals" makeing surgery more complicated and recovery less possible or some crap like that.

Crpdeth
  7. southernshooter

People were saying the Teflon coating on it went thru bullet proof vest. Anybody like us knew it was easier on the barrel and fed better.
    And then they said the talons were dangeress for surgenons it could cut thru their gloves and cut them. What doctor is going to stick his finger in a bullet wound? It is great ammo if it wasn't dang near extinct
  8. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I prefer to use a 124gr bullet in my self defense rounds. That being said I have had very good results from the Magtech and Speer Gold Dot +P rounds. I am currently carrying the Speer stuff in my 9 and .380
  9. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

That was there story allright.:mad: :mad: ,instead of faceing lawsuits they gave in to the anti-gun crowd.They think that if it is black it must be EVIL, just like thoses EVIL Black Rifles.
  10. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

Thank Crpdeth, I guess I got the liberal media explanation from what I remember. Hearing crap like "cop killer bullets". Typical.

How dare someone make a bullet that does what it is designed to do
    very effectively. Obviously we need "kinder, gentler" bullets.
  11. southernshooter

Hornady's Tap is really a good bullet and affordable
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Exactly :D
  13. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

124 grain Golden Saber is decent ammo (Avoid the 147 grain regardless of brand.)

Cor-Bon 115 grain +P 9mm has a reputation that can't be argued with. Just make sure your weapon is newer, like 1985+ for that stuff.

I keep mine loaded with 124 grain Hornady XTP or 124 grain Federal Hydra-Shock. When I get a hold on more Cor-Bon the other stuff will go in the practice ammo box though :D

Southern, I took a look at Hornady TAP and it does look like some good ammo. I like Hornady anyway. The 200 grain .45 acp +P TAP looks like a real dooozy....pushing a 200 grain .45 hollowpoint at almost the speed of a lighter 9mm round...that's should have great terminal effect.
  14. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Well I agree with half of your statement Delta, but not so sure about the 45acp stuff.

I could be way off base on this and my memory isn`t the best. But my understanding of the invention of "TAP" was different than this HV 45acp.

My belief was TAP was brought to market for low flash/low recoil tactical use, which then spilled over into the commercial market for recoil sensitive hunters, you know, lower powered 30-06 with the same 100 yard impact (simply one example) as full power.

HiVel 45acp is usally negated to subgun use, but in the current market the subgun has turned to the cut down M4`s and HK`s using .223.

Interesting close combat/entry choice and some have moved back to the .308`s in this same application. Accidents are not far off as some get braver...........

LTS
  15. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Which half? lol

I've used Hornady quite a while, but never took a close look at TAP. Reading into it's figures from a five inch barrel (200 grain .45 +P) caught my attention. Then again .45 230 grain ball does pretty good anyways:D