A bad day at the range...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gdmoody, Jun 22, 2009.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

…but still better than any day at work!!

I took myself, my granddaughter (9 yr old), and grandson (14 yr old) out the range this morning. Every thing started out pretty good. The sky was a little overcast so the heat wasn’t unbearable.

Went to the pistol range first and fired my new (to me) XD in .357 Sig, didn’t like it all that much, and just don’t know why! I was not holding it correctly because it took chunks of skin off my thumb twice. That was the first thing not so great. :( Then both of my grand children out shot me on the pistol range with the XD, a Ruger 22/45, and my 9mm Sig, that was Number 2. This was not so bad, though..

We moved over to the Rifle range and things went down hill. We went down to the 50 yard line and the 100 yard line and put up targets, (that part went well). I took my H&R Handi-rifle in .204 Ruger out of the case and got to the firing line. I put the first cartridge in the chamber and it “stuck”. It wouldn’t go in so I could shut the action and I couldn’t get it out. The only rod that I have (had) was a .30 cal rod, it don’t fit the .204 hole!!. :mad: To say the least, I didn’t get to shoot the .204. (Number 3).:(

I took out my AR 15 and we shot it with a .22 conversion in it and every thing was going along pretty good. I decided to put the regular bolt back and the piston system back in it and shoot some .223. I guess the .22s fouled up the gas piston area because I could not get the gas piston to fit properly. (Number 4):(. I had some cleaning supplies with me so I cleaned the piston area and got the piston to fit so we got to shoot the .223. One of my new Magpul P-mags would not seat in the mag-well and would not feed properly (Number 5). :( We did shoot up all the 5.56 ammo we had so it wasn’t a total loss on that part. My grandson again out shot me, this time with the AR 15.

Took out a Ruger .44 Magnum carbine that I recently traded for. This was the high point of the day. This thing shot good at both 50 yards and 100 yards. I am going to have to put a new scope on it though, just could not get it far enough right. My grandson learned about that Kentucky windage stuff and was putting them in the bullseye at 100 yards. And again, he out shot me with it, he says that he likes it so I will probably end up giving it to him with the time comes!

Then the worst part – when we got home they went to play video games and I had to clean half a dozen guns. Plus I had to go and buy a smaller rod so I could “beat” that stuck round out of the .204, but I did get it out, and now have another rod to stick in the trunk next time we go shooting!

Even though I said it was a bad day at the range, it was actually a great day. It was so much fun just watching my grandkids getting into shooting and to see how good my grandson was doing. My granddaughter really likes the pistol shooting and just doesn’t want to shoot rifles, but I hope to change that soon.

Sorry for the long post but I didn’t have anybody else to tell and most of you all will appreciate it.
  2. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

No sorry necessary gdmoody.
    With all the bad news in the world, it's nice to hear someone had a good day.
    I hope tomorrow is good too.
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Well it sounds to me that even with the bad stuff, you still had a great day!
    You spent it on the range with your grand kids and got a new rod to boot ;)
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Sounds like a good day to me:D
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Our grandson came and spent Saturday and Sunday with us. He and I shot a good bit Saturday. Good weekend. He has been my shooting buddy since he was about six. Now he is 22 and in law school at U of Ga.
  6. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Glad to here stories of people bringing new blood to our addiction. I can't wait until my boy is old enough to come with me, he's only 4 months, wife won't let me start that early lol
  7. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Hope you had a good Father's Day, GD! I bet the grandkids didn't pay any attention to your problems, they were glad to hangin' w/ Grandpa. You made a nice Memory for them. :)
  8. buffalo jump

buffalo jump New Member

Anytime with the grandkids is a great day.:):)