1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

A beautiful day at the range

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by todd51, Oct 11, 2012.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow, what a gorgeous day to be out and about and spend it at the range. The goal for today other than have fun was to find an accurate load for the like new in the box S&W Model 27-3 in .357 mag. that I picked up earlier this year but have not shot much at all.

I loaded up some Laser Cast 158gr. LSWC bullets and new Star brass with Unigue powder in one tenth grain increments from 5.5 to 5.9 grains. Another bunch had HP-38 powder same bullet in 4.5 to 4.9 grains. I was after a plinking load of less that 1000fps. Best of the lot was Unique 5.8grs. and HP-38 4.7grs. With the latter being the best of all with all holes touching. I had five of each load to run through.

Jim had sent his AIM red dot that he has on his S&W Model 22-A back for repair and just received the new replacement so that meant so time getting it sighted in. No problems except we got the allen wrench hung up in the "un-lock" screw. Unbelievable how much force it took to get it out of there but you can't just go around with an allen wrench sticking out of your pistol:D

In addition we shot the steel with Bob's Beretta Neos and my Ruger MK III Hunter.

Oh yea, we had a fire in the pit to take off the morning chill and set around enjoying that. Jim gave up shooting because he was having more fun tending and feeding the fire:confused:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

can't ask for a more beautiful day
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hey Todd what kind of scope is that?
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like the Model 27-3 Smith and Wesson. I like those revolvers.
  5. todd51

Beth, that is an AIM reflex red dot. They are not expensive but three of the old guys have them on semi auto pistols and two of them have been sent back to the factory for repair/replacement. I think that with those odds I would look else where if I was in the market for a budget priced red dot.
  6. todd51

Beth. It finally dawned on me you were asking about the spotting scope. It is a Wind River by Wilderness Optics and is a 15-45 x 60mm and has worked fine for me for many years. I bought it a Gander Mountain for some where in the $150.00 range, I don't remember exactly what the price was.
  7. garydude

garydude Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad you were able to squeeze in another range trip before it gets super cold.

It's just starting to get nice here, so come visit us in sunny AZ.
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

never saw one with a large eye piece like that