A carry gun under $400

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gunguy25, Dec 30, 2009.

1. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Hi , I just wanted to get you guys opinion on a good carry gun for under $400 , something that going to be reliable, prefer nothing under a 9mm. THANKS
  2. mike3420

mike3420 New Member

A Tarus PT111 9mm with 10 round double stack mag. A nice small gun and easy to conseal.
  3. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

Stoeger Cougar, same exact gun as a Berreta Cougar-15 rds and sweet to shoot
  4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I'm gonna say used is what you need, a high quality gun that has a well deserved reputation for reliability. any good sig, colt, Glock etc should work well. Your odds with a cheap gun go from a jury of twelve to carried by six! Find a good quality, gunsmith inspected used gun that fits your price range.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    it might be of help if you would tell us what you are better at shooting,a revolver or semi-auto?if you cant shoot it,it dont do any good to carry it.most armed civilian confrontations are within 15 feet.buy what ever feels good in your hand and thats comfortable to carry.you may also want to consider the amount of ammo you can afford to buy before gun purchase.i would rather carry a 22 caliber pistol that i was proficient with,than a 9 or 380 or 38 that i couldnt afford to shoot. old semperfi
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Rock Island Armory 1911. Slim. It's a .45 Auto so it gives you plenty of power. I own one and I think it's a great gun. And because it's a Government Model (5"), you don't have to worry about the reliability issues. The smaller ones like the 3 or 3 1/2" ones are the ones that usually have reliability issues just because of how they're designed. I love mine. Comfortable too. I paid $540 total for mine. But I'm also in anti-gun Wisconsin. If you're in a gun friendly state, I think you can easily find them for under $400 new. I trust my life to the same style gun that the US military trusted theirs to for years.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  7. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

am good with a semi-auto i shot my brothers pt145 45 acp and hit everything i aimed at i have also shot a glock 9mm and a ruger p95 9mm and some others i havnt shot much with a revolver
  8. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Thanks everyone for your input
  9. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Well at 400 you will have a pretty good selection. Would go check out a few shops. Try some and see what feels good to you..........................
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I agree that $400 can go a long way if you look at used. I have bought two good Sig Sauers with both of them being under $400.
  11. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

There are lots of good choices. The Kahr CW9 is right at $400, and the Ruger SR9 can be had for just under. The Ruger P95 can be bought for right around $300 (some consider it large for CCW, but I don't). The Kel Tec PF9 and PF11 can both be had for under $300, and on the revolver side, you can get a new Ruger LCR .38 for $399.
  12. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM New Member

Just bought my Glock 27 .40 caliber used (barely) for $450 for a savings of $500

It's very small, fits in my pocket, and shoots a big slug...
  13. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

The G27 is an excellent pistol, but how do you figure you had a savings of $500 when you paid $450 for one?
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

:confused: :confused:
  15. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I would agree that you need to determine which type of gun (pistol or revolver) that fits you best. There are several manufacturers in the $400 and under range, but the gun has to fit you and your needs. What works for me may not work for you. A good reference site to look a many makes and models is www.budsgunshop.com. However, it still comes down to what works for you.