A Challenge

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by swanshot, Aug 4, 2008.

1. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Ok, Who's up for it?
    What I propose is for bolt action Military surplus rifles only. Must be original configuration and calibre. Sights may be changed BUT must be military issue and NOT a scope. In other words you can substitute apature sights for open, IF the apature is military issue.
    I am restricted to a 200mt /220 yds range, and there is nothin' I can do about that at the moment so I have drawn the suggested course of fire.

The target we use has a three inch ten ring, with lesser rings at 1.5 inch spacings. But I'm open to suggestions.
    The idea is we shoot it as we can. In company with pics is even better, take a clear pic of our targets, There'll be four of em, and post the result.
    Now let's not take ouselves too seriously here:):) I don't mean turn it into a food fight:rollseyes: just don't get all pedantic. It's supposed to be fun.

here's the course:
    Notes: The shooter may NOT use a spotting scope, or have their shots called by someone else while shooting the competition. Soldiers didn't have someone tellin' where their shots were goin', nor do we.
    Stage 1

The ambush.

Load five rounds

At 50 mts the shooter will start kneeling on the ground, action open, facing away from the target, butt on the ground, rifle pointing straight up.

At the command, “commence fire", the shooter will stand and turn to face the target.

Shooting offhand the shooter will fire 5 rounds in 30 seconds.

BUT!!! The time will start when the first shot is fired. (Somebody is gonna have to shoot first) then, the 30 second countdown begins.

Repeat for a total of ten rounds.
    Note: Offhand means standing, no support other than sling.

Stage 2

Shooting from the offhand position at 75 mts the shooter will fire ten rounds in 3 minutes. No allowance is made for smaller magazines. Mausers will have to reload in the time. SMLE's have a ten round magazine. Good luck to em.

Stage 3

At 100 mts The shooter will fire 5 rounds from the kneeling/ sitting position. The shooter will then fire 5 rounds in the prone position Total time for both 5 minutes
    Note: Sitting/kneeling means just that. You can do either, rest you elbows on your knees, whatever. But, no rest that is not a part of your own body. Same for prone.

Stage 4

At 200 mts the shooter will fire a total of ten rounds from any FIELD position they choose. total time 5 minutes.
    Note: A field position is one that a soldier in the field might reasonably encounter. He would not encounter a covered bench with leather padded rests, but he could use sandbags on the ground, or rest on a post wall etc

Stage 5. This not really a stage at all, and is not scored. It is just so much fun:D:D:D
    You are under attack from a frontal assult!!!:eek::eek: They are commin at you with bayonets. At 25 mts you will fire as many rounds as you can in 90 seconds.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. Swanie, where the hell did you hide that quad .50????? :D;)
  3. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Am I to take it that you have picked up the gauntlet sir?:) (raised eybrows, quizzical look).
  4. Australians wear gloves when they shoot? :D;):p Just kidding!! No, sadly, I must decline your proffered medieval gauntlet, the challenge to duel. You outline a most interesting contest of fire, Swanie, but I've no means at my disposal to implement it at the range where I shoot. It would be fun though. I think I would choose one of my Mausers were I to do it, or possibly one of my Mosins. Either would do nicely.
  5. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Don't got no Military Surplus bolts anymore...let alone one's (bolts) without scopes...otherwise, I'd dance with ya..."Jay" is a member here who may be able to dance, if he still has his "bolt shooters"...The fella is kind'a like you and dcon...Keepers...;)

Send him a PM and see if he's willin'...He's a former Marine, and a damn fine shooter...:)
  6. I still say it would be much easier if we could simply use machine guns. :D Hey Swanie, how about allowing us old duffers to use at least a BAR? An M60 would be even better. :D
  7. swanshot

swanshot New Member

I give you my personal permission to borrow one:D:D Ya not gettin out of it that easily ya little sheet:D:D:D
  8. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Didn't you see my pic? I'm an old duffer. Cheesh, talk about cranky old men.
    Dunno what the worlds cummin to, no bloody respect any more, that's the trouble with this world. Now when i was a young bloke------------
    Read the bloody rules!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D
  9. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Oh, all right, grump.grump, if you must:rolleyes::rolleyes: But only a Lewis:mad::mad:;):)
    Or, if your really good, a vickers Maxim
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  10. Jay

Jay New Member

The only bolt action mil-surp rifles I have are rimfires. But I'll play with those....
  11. swanshot

swanshot New Member

OK Use about 70 yds for the last 3 stages:D:D Doea that wok for you??:D
  12. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Reckon I can be a scrounger, and find one...but, hmmm...what caliber...I'm thinkin' "ought 6" will dust ya...;)

Jay...Nice to see ya around, what rimfire are you thinkin'...Just curious...:cool:
  13. Jay

Jay New Member

sure, I'll play...... it'll be this weekend, probably..........

Hi Guns..... I've got an old Mossy 144US, and the H&R M12. they pretty well hold their own most of the time. Hope all is well with you and yours....... the invite to visit still stands.....
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  14. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Thanks Jay!

Everyone is doing well and all are sassy...:)

I'd like to see you try the sporting clays thing with me...I shoot in Brighton, MI in September for the Zone championship...I'm no competitor there (or anywhere), but, shooting the course and watching others is a lot of fun...;)

I now wish I would have hung on to the Springfield 03, and the 1917 Eddystone to try to match up with Swannie's match...If I can't find something close by...I'll try the bolt rimfire's I have...(not that I've improved any with them...:D)
  15. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Ohh c'mon smokin, ya couldn't hit a barn from the inside:D:D:D:D
  16. But Swanie, I want the weapon to work, so why would I use a Vickers? :D I'd as soon use a Bren gun. :eek: ;) Now that M60 would do the job nicely. I wonder if I can still remember how to disassemble one? I haven't even touched one in almost 40 years.
  17. swanshot

swanshot New Member

OK That's IT!! I yold you---didn't I? No Vickers. Any more outa you and you'll lose the lewis too.;):D
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  18. ::::grumble, grumble:::: picky Aussies, probably won't let me use my M79 either ::::::grumble, grumble:::::: :D;)
  19. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Oh my God! it's like arguing with a teenager::eek::eek::D:D
  20. But Swanie, Napoleon said it best: "God fights on the side with the heaviest artillery!" :D;)