1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

A Challenge

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by swanshot, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I think you will like the 91/30, Guns. One change I made to two of those I own was to fit them with good aperture sights. The battle sights on those rifles are very crude, not very effective for any kind of precision work. The Russians built those rifles to take typical battlefield punishment and to stand up to what peasant soldiers could do to them. The rimmed casing on the 7.62 x 54R ensures positive ejection, for example. The Russians used that rifle throughout WWI and WWII, and still retained it as a sniper rifle well after that time.
  2. swanshot

swanshot New Member

I am a good shot, not great, but good, Look closely and you'll see a tendancy to double group . Not making excuses now, I don't have to, but to explain a mediocre performance; 12Knt wind left back quater is garunteed to open out an offhand group, and I have an injured knee that made sitting/kneeling uncomfortable no matter what I did. And a eyesight problem at 200mts.
    It is interesting that this effort has brought it home to me, more than club events have, that I need to get myself better prepared and fitter. I am capable of better, but basicly I get tired and I hurt.
    Yes I always wrap my sling, and adjust it a knotch this way or that to allow for position, thick clothing etc. I know the drill, I just have difficulty doing it.:eek::(
  3. happyhunter42

happyhunter42 New Member

I haven't been able to fire it yet. From everything I've been told you can cook your supper with the muzzle flash. I plan on using it to do the challenge, that way at the 25 mtr set the muzzle flash will keep the bad guy off me.:D
  4. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Singeing eyebrows as a defensive measure::eek::eek: It's different:D:D
  5. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Today's adventure...

The beginning of the setup...and the help I had to endure...

[​IMG]

The targets...Close at 40 yds...Targets were the high dollar one's...I drew the circle with the roll of tape used to fasten the target to the barrel...The endurin' folk were told to color within the line...reckon they stayed well clear of the line...They know how tuff I can be...

[​IMG]

With zoom at 240 yds...

[​IMG]

The final setup...butt stock condom on the 91/30 (length of pull also better)...SVT-40 there just so y'all know what I was talkin' 'bout earlier in the thread...moving blanket on the bench for sittin' 'n 'neelin...(haven't tried iron sights or sitting and kneeling since the late 60's as a junior club shooter)...and..."The Hat"...and what Shootin' glasses I use...

[​IMG]

The results at 40 yds...Left to right...Benchrest, Bags, Sitting (on the pharkin' bench ), Kneeling (again...on the pharkin' bench ), Standing...5 shots each, no time recorded or wanted...1st time shooting this shooter...elevation is ok, windage adjustment needed (might have to visit a mosin forum and ask questions)...

[​IMG]

At 240... 2nd round of 5 shots...Shooting about 12" to the left of the barrel on the 5th shot, 1 hit to target...After walkin' it back to the left...(you'll have to squint to see the other 2 )...( the other 2 were searchin' for wire )...Elevation no change from 40 to 240...(on the 1st round of 5, changed the elevation 2 clicks)...(shooting over the barell in the field)...(became obvious that the 7.62x54 is not the same as a 30-30).... (hit the Hi-tensile wire, hit another strand on the second 5),...(creatin' my own honey-do jobs)...(One of my younger brothers being the barrel model)...(I have 5 of the leetle sheets)...Fella came ta practice clay's and got roped into a'nuther gig first...

[​IMG]

Hard to see the wire...but, some folk to need to come and help me fix the sheet...

[​IMG]

Once I get the windage thing worked out...I'll work on time...G'day mate...took me almost as long to post this as it did to shoot today...:D
  6. swanshot

swanshot New Member

The shootin fine mate. Get the sights sorted an ya gunna kick my arse:D:D
  7. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

I'll let the bench settle in over winter...tryin' for Jay's setup...;)

Jay...Let's dance rimfire...;)
  8. happyhunter42

happyhunter42 New Member

I completed the challenge Sunday, But the oldest daughter had the camera so I didn't get any pictures. I've got the targets although our setup is a little different. We dont have a 75mt. bunker. Our range starts at 25 then goes to 50 then 100, 150 and finally 200 meters. I'll try to take pics of the targets tomorrow.
  9. swanshot

swanshot New Member

C'mon mate---Pic's:D:D
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

You want sweet? Try my little girl, when she was still little that is...

Attached Files:

11. But Tranter, what would the Liberal Party say???? :eek::D;)
  12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

'Ahh how sweet' No?