The Firearms Forum banner

A Concealed Carry Quandry

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
I ran into a snag tonight while travelling on business. One of the few things that makes business travel tolerable is the relaxation to be found at the end of my journey, soaking in a hot, bubbling spa with a cold glass of scotch. Nothing erases the stress of a long drive more efficiently, and I suspect that it also reduces the accumulated strain of a tense job that slowly builds in between trips. But I digress...

Tonight I was faced with a dilemma - carry my 9mm to the pond in plain sight (and risk getting it wet), or leave it behind in my room while I saunter mostly naked to the cement pond. Knowing the construction of the P938, I think I probably could have taken it into the jacuzzi in my pocket and it would still function reliably, but I don't like to mistreat good tools. In the past it was less an issue, as I was quite fit and took pride in the fact that I'd never lost a fight in the first 5 miles. But I'm older and fatter, and I don't run as fast as I used to. I'd feel better having that gun next to me, but I truly would rather not call attention to it around the pool.

What's a solution, short of wearing a bikini and carrying a purse to hide the gun? I don't think I'm up for that; the bikini might not be too bad, but the wax job??? No way!

#3 ·
I love to swim, but can't because it's just to far to a body of water for swimming. I do have a small above ground pool that we relax, and splash around in, but you just can't swim in one! I keep my pistol on a table beside the pool. If I had to go swimming at a public pool, pond, or lake, I would be wearing a swim suit that looks more like shorts, and a T shirt. I too am old, saggy in the wrong places, and no longer fast, by any stretch of the imagination. By wearing a swim suit that looks like shorts, I now have pockets that I can carry a small pistol in, or I could even go with the Smart Carry system. I don't think water would be a problem with modern fire arms, or ammo. But you could water proof that ammo with a little wax if you just had to.

Attachments

#4 ·
Both good ideas - Thanks, gents! :)

I do have a small gym bag I could take along when I travel, and that would be handy for carrying the gun, along with a spare towel, cell phone, etc. Waxing the ammo is probably something I should do in any case, pool or no. It may not seem like much to others, but out here a 40% humidity level is huge, and coupled with 110F temperatures makes for steamy conditions for any concealed weapon.

#5 ·
Didn't those seal teamers use a variation of frog lube since they got their guns wet? Of course, the civilian version has a minty smell to it. Others would see a floating slick that smelled like mint coming from you. That might be hard to explain??!!?? You could wear a cowboy hat with a bandana that held the bullets to keep them dry. Others seeing that hat and bandana might make sure others shy away so you could have the whole thing to yourself. The other advantage of frog lube minty aroma is if there are any extra bubbles in the water, no one would know!

#7 ·
when i exerise i have , usually, a keltec p32 or p3at or the sig p238, i keep it in a ziplock slider enclosure bag with no air in it.

sweat, rain or accidental trips into a body of watr won't effect it.

if I go to a pool, etc. I always have a bag with me for a towel, sunscreen, a bottled water, magazine.. etc...

#9 ·
Water won't hurt your pistol at all. Unless you just leave it wet. Take it swimming, won't hurt a thing. You just have to clean it right away.

#11 ·
Wear jean shorts or some kind of shorts and a tee shirt. You could fold the gun in the towel or get a thick book and cut out the pages to hide the gun. You may have seen this done in the movies. Also remember that when clothing gets wet it clings and will out line anything in the pockets.

#12 ·
That's why I recommended the Smart Carry.

#15 ·
Whoa! Is that handsome young feller there really you, or did that picture come with the new wallet?;)

I, too, prefer a leather holster, and what you refer to as a Yaqui-style is similar to the plastic thingy that I got from Sig for my P238 and P938. Both would benefit from real leather, and I really should drag out the couple of empty cows I have in my shed and make both of these beautiful guns something nice to wear. But leather work takes time I don't have, so a couple of Smart Carry pouches seems in order. Thanks, again!

#16 ·
when i exerise i have , usually, a keltec p32 or p3at or the sig p238, i keep it in a ziplock slider enclosure bag with no air in it.

sweat, rain or accidental trips into a body of watr won't effect it.

if I go to a pool, etc. I always have a bag with me for a towel, sunscreen, a bottled water, magazine.. etc...[/QUOT

They make gallon zip lock bags that are completely waterproof. I use them for canoe trips and anywhere water might be a problem. Access is fast.

#17 ·
http://www.smartcarry.com/testimonials.html

Customer Testimonials for the Smart Carry system: There are latterly thousands of them here. I remember reading one many years ago from a martial arts instructor. He wore his all day long while training students in martial arts.

#19 ·
I'm not sure, but I might be the only one here that uses them, and really likes them.

#21 ·
I usually am wearing basket ball type shorts, T shirt, and flip flops. That's comfortable for me. It's the only holster that would allow me to carry a concealed hand gun larger than a small .22 NAA revolver. It is not my first choice when wearing a belt, I carry on the hip under those conditions.

#24 ·
my gym shorts have a pocket that's plenty big enough for my P938, but it's a bit too heavy for the elastic waistband. :) I just rely on my folding knife while at the gym. there's plenty of light plates and dumbells to snatch up and throw while I close with the guy, using the light bar as a fighting staff. :)

#25 ·
my gym shorts have a pocket that's plenty big enough for my P938, but it's a bit too heavy for the elastic waistband. :) I just rely on my folding knife while at the gym. there's plenty of light plates and dumbells to snatch up and throw while I close with the guy, using the light bar as a fighting staff. :)
That is where the little NAA comes in handy, even though you never would!!

#31 ·
Maybe you should go to the range and have a friend shoot you with a 22mag and then he can tell you he was just kidding....o_O

Reactions: gdmoody
#29 ·
obviously, you lack a chronograph or any experience in shooting flesh and blood targets. Noise does not =power. the mini 22 mag has a whopping 150 ft lbs, which is less than a Stinger from a 22lr rifle barrel. and you can get off a whole one shot per second, and maybe hit a man at 1 yd of distance, that "fast". No thanks. I'll take my 500 ft lb per hit and 7 hits per second pocket auto, thanks very much. I've shot hundreds of animals with ccw guns and loads over the years. I know for a fact that even 300 ft lbs loads can't be relied upon to stop an alleycat with a chest hit, if they are not violently expansive.

#32 ·
Thanks Dan, I was thinking that, but didn't really want to say it. I was going to invite him down here and let me shoot at him with mine!

That one shot to the chest may be all I need to get away. No, I guess I don't have anym experiance with shooting flesh and blood, at least not human and I really don't want to have that experience. Do you?

I DO NOT carry the NAA mini revolver for self defense, I carry a Sig P938. There are times that I just stick my NAA in my pocket as a just in case. But I am telling you that it will stop a threat, it may not kill, but is will, as I said, allow me to get away from the threat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.