A corner of my gun room....

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by astute observer, Mar 31, 2003.

1. astute observer

astute observer New Member

Since I cannot currently post a picture in this forum, but have posted one in the "Test Forum", I went ahead and added some descriptions to explain the content of the photo. It is a grouping of percussion longrifles by Illinois makers who worked in the Wabash Valley.

#1- top rifle (with all the silver inlays) was made by A. B. CARPENTER, Dolson (now Clarksville), Clark County, Illinois during the 1870's or early 1880's. It has a 47 1/2" barrel and has been "set back" a little over five inches, meaning that it originally had a 53 inch barrel before being re-breeched. It still weighs 17 lbs. Such rifles (called "chunk guns") were not intended for hunting but were instead used in "over-the-log" shooting matches.

#2-Fullstock rifle made by W. H. BROWN, Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois, 1870's or 1880's. (He worked previously in Perrysville, Indiana)

#3-Another fullstock squirrel rifle by W. H. BROWN.

#4-Fullstock rifle by J. S. DAVIS, Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois circa 1859-1861 (Davis is believed to have apprenticed to W. H. Brown)

#5-Halfstock rifle made by J. S. DAVIS PARIS ILLS (Same man...later date. This one dates from about 1880). Paris is in Edgar County...south of Vermilion County.

#6-Halfstock rifle made by DAVIS & HURST PARIS ILLS, 1874-1880.
    This was a partnership of J. S. Davis and J. Morgan Hurst.

#7-Fullstock "chunk gun" by M. H. HURST, Paris, Illinois....date unknown.

#8-Halfstock rifle made by N. B. DEVOL, Marshall, Clark County, Illinois. Circa 1852-1862. Devol was a gunsmith, blacksmith and surgeon dentist!

#9-Halfstock rifle by J. W. KELLER, Casey, Clark County, Illinois. Circa 1860-1879.

#10-Fullstock "chunk gun" by B. F. GOTT, Bear Creek Precinct, Gallatin County, Illinois 1840's-1851; Roland, White County, Illinois, 1852-1860; and Carmi, White County, Illinois circa 1870.

#11-Short fullstock squirrel rifle made by H. W. WHITE OLNEY ILLS, 1866-1873.

#12- Halfstock rifle made by H. W. WHITE OLNEY ILLS.

#13-Halfstock rifle by G. KRUG Mt CARMEL ILL 1860-1888

#14- Halfstock "chunk gun" by G. KRUG Mt CARMEL ILL.

[​IMG]

edit was to try to get the picture to work

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2003
  2. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Thanks A/O...I enjoyed it. swede
  3. astute observer

Thanks...

Thank you, Swede! And thanks for moving the picture to this forum.
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Nice!

That's a great collection...Just now starting to get into BP shooting...bought two Muzzleloaders this past winter(modern) Caplock and In-line. Haven't shot either one of them yet. Waiting for the weather to break...got some feller's here locally that are going to help walk me through it...then watch out!... :)
  5. warpig

warpig Guest

no problem AO. Happy to do it. That is a nice collection.
  6. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Beautiful collection AO, I am impressed. :)
  7. astute observer

Thank you..

Thank you all for the kind words! I can show you more.....that was just one corner. They are all grouped according to the part of the state where they were made, or by type in some cases (percussion schuetzen rifles for example). I guess the easiest way to post them would be to put them in the "Test Forum", if someone is willing to move them.
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Please do astute observer. I know I'd like to see them and I'm sure any of us would be happy to move them here for you.
  9. bullelk

bullelk New Member

Astute observer,

That's a real fine collection of early arms. Nice job and really impressive. Also very nice display.
  10. astute observer

Thanks..

Thank you bullelk, It is a collection that has slowly evolved over the past 35 years. It contains 164 Illinois made guns and 23 by Iowa makers. Most of the long guns are percussion rifles, the remainder being percussion shotguns, early breechloading shotguns, a percussion target pistol, an air rifle, and a breechloading schuetzen by a Chicago maker chambered for .38-50 Ballard Everlasting.

TLynn.... thanks for the offer of help with the pics! As soon as I get time, I will try to get a few more ready to post.
  11. fix

fix New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I cant send emails until I have made twenty posts. so, Astute observer, I am interested in seeing the davis guns you have. I would like to build a similar gun since none of these guns remain in the family. Would it be possible for me to see them in person? I am most interested in the fullstock rifle, but would like to see all of them, if it isn't too much trouble. I no longer live in Vermillion county illinois, but i'm only an hour away, in coles county.
    it would be very helpful to me if I could see the guns in person.
    thanks

Glen Davis
  12. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Fix I think these guys are long gone.
  13. fix

fix New Member

That's what I figured. I was just hoping. I've had a lot of trouble finding examples of the Davis rifles, and I figured i'd take a chance.
  14. astute observer

Glen, the Firearms Forum sent me am email with your request, so here I am. Yes, it can be arranged.
  15. fix

fix New Member

That would be fantastic. As I said, i'm in coles county illinois, but i'll drive anywhere in the state to see the guns. How would you like to meet. Do you have a place in mind. I'll see if I can add some info to my profile, so you can private message me.

thank you for the chance to see one of the Davis guns. I'm mostly interested in getting measurements, but i'd like a few photos as well if that's alright.