A couple questions..

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Mar 18, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

xiwillnotx
    (3/13/03 4:48:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All A couple questions..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hey everyone, a few more questions for you all!

First: What would be an accurate, powerful rifle that would be ideal for hunting, and the occasional target shooting, and in what caliber?

Second: What's a good brand for Rifled 20 ga. shot guns? i'm a small shooter so i don't want a 12 ga, but i want something accurate enough to knock a deer over.

any opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

yours respectively.

Hello! Since this is a general question looking for opinions rather than technical date, I have moved it to the Rifle/Shotgun Forum where it will be seen by more people. You stand a much better chance of getting a wider range of opinions there. Thanks for posting! - ADr

Edited by: AntiqueDr at: 3/14/03 9:49:09 am

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/14/03 8:36:01 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: A couple questions..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We'll need a bit more info. What will you be hunting and at what distances?

Makes a lot of difference if you're hunting coyotes at 400 yards or hunting bear in heavy cover.

How serious will you be about target shooting? What kind of targets and at what ranges?

I'll let others comment about shotguns.

xiwillnotx
    (3/14/03 10:05:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del -
    i'd like a versatile gun thats capable of about anything, in most terrain situations, if such a gun exists. as far as targets, paper ones, at various ranges. i'm going to a gun show tomorrow, so i'll ask around there too.

thanks.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/15/03 7:29:01 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: -
    Try a 30-06. Common rifle...plenty of choices...ammo readily available. I recommend savage myself. You can find a used one at a good price in any pawnshop. Use the lighter bullets for varminting, 180 gr for deer. Good all around rifle and has been for years.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/15/03 8:55:18 am)
    I agree with Swede. I'd recommend a quality bolt-action rifle....Remington, Winchester, Savage, CZ, etc. in .30-06. Probably the most versitile combination of rifle and caliber there is.

Be aware though, there is no "do-everything" rifle. A hunting rifle won't give you the same accuracy as a target rifle.....and a target rifle is too heavy and bulky to haul thru the woods when you're hunting.

I'd suggest you look for a good hunting rifle....it will be accurate enough for "fun-type" target shooting.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/16/03 2:00:05 am)
    I own a rem 870 with 20 gauge rifled barrel. I'd recomend a NEF or even better an 870 with a smooth slug barrel.
    SERENITY NOW! OR ELSE!

xiwillnotx
    (3/16/03 10:13:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del -
    well heres what i got, a mossberg 500 with an 88 maverick mod. choke. on it, brand new, paid 225. its not a bad looking gun, 'll just have to grow into it hah!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/16/03 10:16:54 am)
    A nice choice in a moderately priced shotgun.

Now all you've got to do is to find that rifle.

xiwillnotx
    (3/16/03 2:54:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del -
    not for a while yet on that one. i need to stop spending money for a while, not easy to do with gunshows in and around town. but anyway the next think i'm going to get is a slug bbl for the mossberg, i've seen some 24" fully rifled slug bbls with fiber optic sights on them for a little over 125. so that will be my next purchase.

what i really need to do is find a place around here to shoot.

thanks again.

outdoorsman260
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/16/03 6:04:27 pm)
    Stop spending money on guns!

If you didn't spend it on guns, you'd only spend it on silly things, like buying food or cloths, or paying off the morgage!
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

xiwillnotx
    (3/17/03 5:22:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del -
    hah yeah i know, i only say that to comfort myself. so long as i can pay insurence and feed myself i will spend money on my toys.

while this post is still hot (i hope) i've got a few more questions..

as you all know now i got a mossberg model 88. its very much like like the 500 but its an 88 with a "maverick 88" bbl.

so my question(s) is(are) this:
    with a modified choke bbl on it is there any restriction on what shot size i can shoot through it?

if and when i get a rifled slug bbl can i shoot shot through it?

maybe some lame quetions but i'm just making my transition from rifle to shotgun so i need all the info i can get.

thanks a bunch guys.