A cure for cellphones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pistolenschutze, Nov 28, 2007.

1. I mean, I do forbid cellphones in my classrooms, but this does seem a tad excessive! :eek:;):p On the other hand . . . :D

NIAGRA FALLS, N.Y — A judge who jailed 46 people who were in his courtroom when a cell phone call interrupted proceedings was removed from the bench Tuesday by a state commission.

Niagara Falls City Court Judge Robert Restaino "snapped" and "engaged in what can only be described as two hours of inexplicable madness" during the March 2005 session, Raoul Felder, chairman of the state Commission on Judicial Conduct, wrote in the decision to remove Restaino from the $113,900-per-year post.

A phone rang while Restaino was hearing the cases of domestic violence offenders who had been ordered to appear weekly to update the judge on the progress of their counseling. A sign in the courthouse warns that cell phones and pagers must be turned off.

"Everyone is going to jail," Restaino said. "Every single person is going to jail in this courtroom unless I get that instrument now. If anybody believes I'm kidding, ask some of the folks that have been here for a while. You are all going."

When no one came forward, Restaino ordered the group into custody, and they were taken to jail, where they were searched and packed into crowded cells. Fourteen people who could not post bail were shackled and bused to another jail.

Restaino ordered them released later that afternoon.

Restaino told the state panel he had been under stress in his personal life.

His attorney, Terrence Connors, said Restaino would appeal.
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Dang good thing it wasn't Marlin we would all still be trying to get out :D;)
  3. Marlin would likely have sent them all up to Parchman for a 20-year stretch . . . and no cellphones allowed! :D;)
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

It IS a tad excessive, to say the least. To jail EVERYONE in the room? :eek:

I would still be in jail, but not only for the original charge, resisting arrest would be added. I do not own a cell phone, and I'll be da**ed if I am going to jail because of one. :mad::mad:

While I don't believe in frivolous lawsuits, I would be getting an attorney, to try to own everything that judge has.
  5. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I hate cell phones. You can't go out to dinner without somebody talking at the top of their lungs on one, some idiot driving like their blind because they have one jammed in their ear, you can't go anywhere and enjoy yourself because one of the damn things ring every few minutes. My wife recently had surgery and there were several large signs in the surgical waiting room that said to turn off all cell phones in the area, but I guess there are some people that have them that can't read either. The judge is my hero and if I got locked up with the rest of them it would have been worth it to me to laugh at them. I know this will not be received well by some people, but it's the way I feel. If you have one, use it responsibly and quit annoying others.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  6. There's really no question it was ridiculous, Pick. I could perhaps see it if the judge had limited it to the owner of the cellphone that rang--he should have known better and won't learn any younger--but to punish the innocent is absurd. I'll bet those affected have already retained counsel and are planning lawsuits. I would be.
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Tom I am with you I hate mine but the wife makes me carry it due to health conditions but I still hate the dang thing!!!!!!!
  8. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I'm sorry, I just think that is really funny.

:D
  9. obxned

obxned New Member

If the sign sez turn off the dang cell phone and you don't, that is contempt of court and jail is where you are going. His method was just a bit over the top.
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I agree with you Tom, EXCEPT about the "me" going to jail for it, part.
  11. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I'd go pickemup, just so I could point at them and laugh. I guess I have a warped sense of humor, but I think the whole thing is funny.
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I carry a cellphone for health reasons and, also importantly, so I can hear. My limited hearing, even with two aides, cannot hear much on the usual land line instrument and I must use a cellphone, usually in speaker phone mode. However, I do not leave the ringer on in places any idiot should know better.....

The Judge involved was excessive to put the offending party in jail on a first, assuming it was, offense. He would have been within ethical rules and the rule of law to fine the person, put one in a holding cell off the courtroom, not to JAIL, for the length of the proceeding of an hour or so, whichever was thought reasonable, or fined for contempt of court AFTER having been warned. Did the bailiff verbally at the opening of court warn that phones must be off and/or not used?? If not, a sign is not sufficient for taking action other than being brought before the bench for a lecture. Persons not involved were guilty of nothing and should not have been subjected to anything other than a pat-down to determine the guilty party.

The Judicial Commission did the only thing they should have.
  13. I'm with you on that one, Ron. I despise the stupid things and rarely carry mine. My wife does use hers quite a lot though, and since we live in snow country, I am comforted by her having it when the weather is really bad. I absolutely forbid them to be active in my classroom since they can be so disruptive. I did have one student this semester though, who asked special permission to have it on during class. His wife was 9 months+ pregnant at the time, and sure enough, he got a call during class to get his butt home in a hurry! :D Mother and baby boy are doing fine. ;)
  14. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I don't blame the judge. I blame all those stinkin @*^# Sheeple, who wouldnt step up & say "Sam Knucklehead" has the offending phone! They are all to blame for disobeying the judge. The judge was under a bit of personal stress & shouldn't take it out on people. But the courtroom was filled w/ dorks!
  15. Basically, I have to agree with Marlin on this one, after all the kidding is put aside. :D That judge's action was totally uncalled for. The old adage, "let the punishment fit the crime" is still a good rule.