A ''Day of Infamy'', 70 years.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by red14, Dec 6, 2011.

1. red14

red14 Active Member

Dad joined the Navy because of that day. He assisted in troop landings on
    North Africa, Sicily, Salerno, Southern France, and Okinawa.

Dad served on the AKA 1 Arcturus. A history of the ship is on the web. I like
    to read it sometimes, makes me closer to him. It was the first of the ''Attack
    Cargo Ship'' class. Just like the ship ''Mr Robert's'' served on.

I had nine uncles serve during WWII.

I would like to hear/see Yall's thoughts on this famous day.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the greatest generation aint a fitting enough description , and boy, how have we let them down...
  3. twobit

twobit Active Member

My father was 23 when Pearl was bombed. He joined the Navy and was stationed on the ABSD-3 (a floating advanced base drydock) in Guam until the end of the war. He was a Metalsmith E-3 trainer/ supervisor. Here is a picture of the ABSD-3 holding/repairing the battleship USS Pennsylvania. Papa is down there somewhere. Also posted is a crew picture. Click the link below the dock picture. Papa is far left on the back row. All photos taken cirra 1944.[​IMG]http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac84/twobit601/crew.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

My grandfather (aka papa as we called him as grandkids) He went in the navy as well. He was only 17 when he signed up. We just lost him 2 weeks ago(age of 85) this sat. He was on the U.S.S. John S.Rodgers DD574 He as well Served in the Okinawa campain. His boat was part of the largest assemblage of naval power ever in a single formation. Air strikes supporting Marine landings on Okinawa continued untill 7 April 1945. Hornet pilots were first to attack super-battleship Yamato, the worlds largest ship, scoring hits with 4 topedos and 3 bombs. 280 planes from TF 58 were involved in the sinking Yamato and supporting ships by Air power. This came from a poster showing the order of battle 24 March 1945. 50,000 Sailors Force Diameter 20 miles. There was 24 Destroyers, 5 Light Cruisers,3 Heavy Cruisers,5 Battleships,2 Light Carriers,and 2 Fleet Carriers. I will see what i can get as far as picks to post up in a few days.

Tokyo was a fitting and well-deserved climax for John Rodgers who had fought in almost every major offensive campaign of the Pacific war without losing a single man.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. whirley

whirley Member

I came along later. I remember seeing a Japanese cruiser beached in Kure harbor with a hole in the bow you could throw a jeep through. I also remember seeing them pull a navy plane out of the water, our pilot was still in the cockpit. I lived in former Japanese buildings that had been used to imprison some of our B-29 crews. In 1949, some of our bombs were occasionally going off around the harbor. The Russians were NEVER our friends. They had information from the Japanese that would have ended WW2 in January of 1945, but never told us. I know that if we had invaded Kyushu Japan as planned, we would have lost about 1 million men and had to kill about 30 million Japanese. Nay sayers to the contrary, we saved millions of lives by bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki. One of my jobs was to inspect the invasion beach defenses for arms and ammunition, and I talked to many Japanese. As anyone knows who has fought them, they are not cowards! The grandchildren of the little Japanese soldiers of WW2 are now tall people, because of better nutrition taught by we Americans. Something to think about...In 1865, Japan was a feudal society, mostly armed with swords. In 1905 they had advanced technically, and defeated the Russian navy, considered at that time to be the most modern navy in the world. That was in 40 years. With better planning they could have defeated us in 1942. They had a torpedo with a 1000 pound warhead and a range of 20 miles and it worked. Our torpedos had a range of about 5 miles and many were duds. Ask anyone who served in subs during WW2. But our politicians saved a bunch of money....Today grade school Japanese kids are required to study 4 different foreign languages for 2 years of each language. I know from experience they're very enthusiastic students. Ours can't even speak their native language properly. Next time.......
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

May The Good Lord Bless each and every one of them ..
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

My grandpa(my daddy's dad) served in World War II loading bombs onto planes and also he was going to several foreign countries in Europe. We are all Polish by the way. One time during the war a bomb got dropped on his foot while he was loading it up and messed up his big toe's toe nail on one of his feet for the rest of his life. I never talked to him because I was only 12 days old when he died on november 24th 1987. I am very proud of all my Grandparents on both my mama and daddies side :)
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I just thought Id like to bring this up even thought it doesnt have to do with this part of WWII but Id just like you guys to that a family member of mine was helping the US out in WWII. Also my dad's grandpa fought in WW1 so thats another family member! Have a nice day! :)
  9. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My Mother and her brother were adopted by different families at a very young age. My uncle, Edmund, was on active duty in the US Army Air Corps on Dec 7, 1941. He had arranged to meet his sister, my Mother, on that Sunday with her minister. She had no idea that he existed. They met, he was called away. They had a bit of contact before he was KIA in the ball turret in Feb 1943. He is buried, now, at Zachary Taylor National Cemetery.
  10. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

A day i never forget. My father served on a merchant ship the Lane Victory as a fireman. Im proud of his service and his courage to serve on a floating target. both he and his ship made it through and the lane victory is still floating and going to sea as a museum. Only 2 liberty ships around now and i thank the lord for keeping both him and his ship safe.
    Semper Fi Dad you may have left us but never far from our hearts
  11. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

My dad was an Army Quartermaster and never left the states. He had two brothers who were in at the same time and they fought in the Battle of the Bulge. They never would discuss the war and you could tell it took its toll on them. There is several days I will never forget, December 7th is one of them even though I wasn't born until dad came home. God bless every one of the USA's soldiers before, then and now. I for one am extremely proud to be an American!
  12. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    My dads dad was a medic in the invasion of sicily and Italy and Okinawa. He never spoke of the war to me or my father.