A day of nothing but relaxing and shooting.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Zane71464, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I finally had a day with NO schedual and thought I'd put the .22LR to the test. No worries, no deadlines and no scheduals to keep, just out having a very much needed day of plinking. I was back earlier this morning coyote hunting with no luck and come daybreak my mind started turning and thinking "this" place was a good place to get set up with my .22 rifle.
    With the mil-dot scope on it, a few shots in the dust, I knew what mil-dot to use, and then stepped it off and it made a good 250 yard shooting spot.
    Even though the shots were far from consistant, I have to give Jack and JLA credit for tossing the thought in my mind when they both posted the .22
    rimefire ballistics charts!

Attached Files:

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Excellent

i've got it worked out so i can hit a car door ( they make a great sound and you can always find a dumped car ) at 300 meters almost every time ( wind still screws me up)

dont knock the old .22
  3. Zane71464

Thanks Jack.

300 meters is a LONG way out there...;), and yes, it dont take much wind to move a .22 bullet as I found out today @ 250yds. Even though I thought the wind was died down a bit where I was, it was still "stirring" out at or between the distance.
    And heck yeah...they will reach out there with a bit of patience!;)
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

1 1/2 Gallon thats what ? 6 litres?

so 8 x 11 " ? ( my maths may be out doing mass circumferential equations in my head hurts)

thats way small at 250 yards !!! 1/10 th the size of a car door

( got to thinking about it a bit )

thats very good shooting, even better seeing you where not too serious

i'd like to see how you do with a decent day a 200 meter range and a bench to shoot from and a decent target
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey Zane, Great shooting!!! A pop can at 250 yards, only in my dreams, ha. Nothing beats a good day of plinking.

I too enjoyed a days plinking yesterday along with a couple of the "Old Guys". We were shooting .22's at 100 yards as that is all the range I have down there in the hills. Sorry not photos this time.

I have been shooting CCI Standard Velocity 40gr. RN in my 10/22 lately and that was what the scope was zeroed for. At the end of the session I loaded with some CCI Mini Mags that I had recently purchased and gave them a try. I was some what surprised to find them printing 6 inches higher at 100 yards as opposed to the Standard Velocity. Group size was tighter too than the SV loads. May have to switch.

Last year I purchased a BSA Sweet 22 6-18 x 40AO scope on the Ruger. I am not really happy with it. It doesn't seem to be as clear as other scopes and it is so sensitive to eye relief and eye position behind the lens, much more than others. I had to mount it with higher rings to clear the barrel and than makes cheek mating uncomfortable. That scope was on sale for less than $50.00 as a discontinued model so no big loss if I retire it. If all those disadvantages come with the increase in magnification I will be going back to a 3x9 that I had on the gun.

The weather was great yesterday and I am sure you enjoyed the same great time in the outdoors that we did.

The only down side to the day was that Bob shot groups half the size of mine with my rifle. :D

Todd
  6. Zane71464

Yep, it measures about 8'x11' and the part about not being serious, that's just it! No pressure no nothing, all in good fun...I like times like that.:D

With the right scope Todd, nothings ever that far away with a good rest. Sorry to hear your not happy with your Sweet 22 scope! I went over looking to buy one here a while back and was looking at a Sweet 17 and almost walked away with it. I'm pretty sure the guy had a sweet 17, but I was looking to mount it on a .22 but I didnt like the fact that the lowest power started out @ 6 power. So that meant to me, no up close shots. I took it out in his parking lot (sweet 17) and was trying to see how close a person could actually see, and and for me, I need to be able to see/shoot @ 20' as well as 100 yrds. So I did pass it up, just not versatile enough for me.
    And what good wheather we have been having!!! Really good to get out without being in a tropical rain forest!:eek: Sounds like you made the most of the good temps as well.
    And as far as Bob's shot groups, ahhh you'll have that from time to time. I have that happen to me every now and then, just not with my own gun..?
    That I do feel for ya there my friend...;), But what the heck, as long as it's all in good fun and good friends, that's what makes it all good!
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yea Zane it is all good fun and friendly shooting. As to those BSA scopes, Bob had a Savage .17HMR with a BSA Air Rifle scope on it. Sorry don't remember the model number and magnification but it is not as much as that one of mine. It is clear as a bell and doesn't share the eye relief peculiarities as my Sweet 22. I really liked it when I shot his .17. The only down side is the coating on the Air Rifle scope is sort of sticky but it was a used rifle/scope combo that he picked up priced right.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    This is the kind of plinking I like! No presures! My brother and I were at the range last week, and had a ball. Stayed out there all day. We did do some compition shooting, just between the two of us. We found some clay pigions that were almost whole, and laid them down at the 100yd. targets. Started shooting with the .22lr's, open sights, just to see who could bust the most. He won with one more target than me. He was shooting a Henery, and I was shooting a Mosburg International. It's always fun when out plinking with the .22's, and they will shoot a really long distance.
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Man, that sounds like fun! I need to get out with the rifles for a day at the range, but I'm waiting for the temps. to moderate some. It's been a "feels like" of 85+degrees lately when I get up at 6:30am. By time I can get to range, it's just too blazing hot to be any fun.

I dropped a Volquartsen Target Hammer into my favorite 10/22 along with a VQ Auto Bolt Release and I'm anxious to see how the lighter trigger will affect the 10/22's performance. Guess I'll have to wait 'til fall or just go and tough it out. :)
  10. mikld

mikld Active Member

Hasn't anybody told you that a Nylon 66 can't hit anything farther out than 25 feet? And Blaser ammo?:eek: Seriously though, good shootin'!
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nice zane. looks like you have the angles figured out and are pretty good at doping the wind too. Keep up the practice... most people dont consider a .22 capable of 250 yds, but its more than capable and accurate too if you do the math and use a solid platform...
  12. Zane71464

I do know what you mean on the temps! It's been a hot and humid summer here and hard to get out and shoot for the fact of contantly haveing to wipe the sweat away to see the sights!
    And that sounds like a good setup with your 10/22! You'll have to tell how it works out with your rifle! Hope the temps drop a bit for you.
  13. Zane71464

Well, havent got it all down pat and still working on that, but all the info on angle shooting and etc., really did help alot!!!
    And heack yeah JLA, when you posted the "updated" .22 rimfire ballistics and with the "BC's", that's what clicked. And totally agree with the .22 reaching out there...they will and they do! I'd just never shot much past 100yds before and being serious about the shots. I like putting rifle's to the "test" of what they are capable of, and a lot of fun and self "learning" as well.:)
  14. Zane71464

That's what it's all about right there. It's all good to compete and love to do it as a well and do between friends and what not, that's what give me the "drive" or "gotta do better" and make it happen. But it's always good to have fun while your doing it as well.:)
  15. Zane71464

mikld, tell ya what, I was begining to think "this" one in particuliar wasnt going to shoot accurate out to 50yds, and that aint no joke, I was haveing all sorts of problems there for a while and begining to doubt the rifle!:eek:
    But shooting when your out of youe "elements" if you will (90* and feeling like a tropical rain forest) had me dobting alot of my shooting abilities.
    I was starting to get a complex..:eek:, thinking what has happened to me!!!:eek: