A Decent Gun Safe Below 500

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BulletArc47, Dec 12, 2012.

1. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

I've been looking for a gun safe with-in my budget for awhile, anyone here have recommendations, it doesn't have to be fancy or anything like that; just need it to lock up and secure the guns.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

That is a tough price point to meet. My safe cost me $1k and it is not a very good safe over all. I have a Timber Ridge by Liberty (Store name for Gander Mnt).

You might want to look at getting one the stack on steel cabinets and lining it with 2 layers of 5/8" drywall. You are going to lose some space but you will get some fire resistance with that and stay within your budget.

Double D and many others on here Love Pioneer Safes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Gun-Safe...133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25778c441d

It is $645 for that small one. I myself would be scrimping and saving to buy a safe at least 2 times bigger than what you need. I have a 23 gun safe and 12 long guns my safe is packed and if I want to get to one in the back I have to more 8 to 9 guns to get to it.
  3. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

i got a nice 24 gun field and stream safe at dicks on black friday for 399....i think if they arnt on sale they are about 650
  4. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

wally world has one listed for $479.00
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if you look around, you can find a fire rated safe for 500$ or under. I believe 350-499 will be the smaller 22 gun safes.. but still. some fire resistance.. and many have a water seal too.

I'd got for that over a steel cabinet ( i have both.. and keep the lesser valuable stuff in the steel cabinet.. etc..
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I've seen people moving sell gun safes cheap. Here in Alaska, they are listed in the local Ak LIst, like Craig's List. Mostly military people leaving country and often they have atv's, boats, all kinds of deals on everything they can't take with them.
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

8. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

No disrespect ozo, but I'm not looking for the best safe that money can buy, cause I don't have that much money. Secondly, my query was trying to narrow down the criteria to those who might have helpful advice of current topic. After all, it's easier to grab someones attention with making a thread, than posting in a one.

I might be coming of pretentious, but that's only because I read your comment as...disregarding and annoyed.

My apologies in advance if I've misinterpreted you. discerning tones of comments can be very difficult and often result in miscommunications.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I got a Stack-On 14-gun fire safe on black friday for slightly less than $300 from Lowes. Go check out their website.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can buy these safes for these prices, but they are made of thin metals and are pretty much what you pay for.
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you will read further down in the thread ozo posted, you will see a link to some very well built and affordable safes.
  12. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

It wasn't a cabinet, it was a fire rated safe (and it was quite heavy).

It was also a Black Friday sale.
  13. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

I followed the link.

Most of those,except for one, are higher than I can afford currently. If I could afford quality a safe I would've gone out and bought same safe as my uncle. His is one of those big browning safes that hold up to 22 guns.

As it is, I'm just assessing what options are out there. It will be some time before I can buy a safe such as those in the link posted in the other forum.
  14. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

how many guns/how big of a safe do you need first off?

If you're like me and mostly worried about theft rather than fire, find the biggest heaviest one you can with the average fire rating.

The small ones are cheaper but they're also 100 times easier to boost by a thief; the bigger the better!

I suppose you could buy a smaller (cheaper) one and bolt it into the floor or find a way to 'chain 'er down'
  16. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

that reminds me, I need to put as much of my lead in my safe as I can fit; I've got almost 200 lbs left in ingots, 200 + 700lb safe + 300lb of guns/ammo = super hard to move!

I hate thieves...
  17. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  18. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Keeping what you have is the main thing. For a fire to be directly on your safe for 30 minutes is 1 in a thousand unless it is placed near a kitchen, Furnace or in an attic. As long as it is secured in place and has decent lugs there are many out there that will do the job.
  19. mrmurl

mrmurl New Member

Hello; I am new here but thought that I would chime in here. A couple of months ago Minards had a sale on gun safes. They had a Stack-on 28 gun safe listed for just under $600. I bought this safe and it is fire rated at 1400 degrees for 30 minutes and waterproof up to two feet deep for 72 hours if bolted to the floor.
    Like someone already said; I would be hard pressed to get 28 guns into this safe, and they would have to be almost stacked in like cord wood. Maybe that is why they call them Stack-on. LOL It is a really nice safe and weighs 500 pounds without anything inside. I do not have any lead ingots but have a few other things to help weigh it down as well. I was able to use a tractor to get down into my basement, but it would be really hard to get it out without some sort of mechanical help.
    I don't for a minute believe that the fire rateing is of much use as usually something like a safe is on the lower floors and all the stuff falls in around it during a fire, if not on a lower floor when the fire starts, after a littl while of burning the safe will be on the lower floor anyway. The fireproofing helps to add the extra weight that will make it harder to steal. Good luck with you choice of a safe.
  20. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Maybe this will help. Where I live there is a safe company that builds very good quality safe's. They are a great price for the safe. However, they sell scratch and dent safe's. They had really nice safe's for $300.00. Were talking super nice stuff. These were $800.00 safe's for $300.00 because they were scratched.

See if there is a company that builds safe's around you and make them an offer on a scratch and dent.

Also, even though you get what you pay for, sometimes you have to start low. If all you can afford is $500.00 dollars, then good for you. Buy a safe that is under that and begin saving for a better safe. At least your cheap safe will lock your valuables out of sight and mind AND they are locked away from the reach of kids. It's a step in the right direction. Another thing. If a thief wants to get into a safe, they will get into just about any safe. It's just that some safe's are harder to get into. BUT, most buglers won't mess with a safe. They want to get in and get out quick. So, at least a safe of some sort is a deterrent of some sort. Unfortunately there are those that will successfully break into or steal the whole safe. But at least a cheap safe is a step in the right direction.