A dumb question about magazines....

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 9, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Snakeyez77
    (2/25/03 8:50:33 am)
    Reply A dumb question about magazines.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all! I'm glad you are still all bearing with me on my silly questions. I'm about to figure lots of things out though.

My new question is about magazines. I see that most new 1911s/1991s come with 7 round magazines. I also see that you can buy aftermarket 8 round magazines, as well as 10 round magazines. Do the 8 round magazines fit flush in the government models? If so, why don't they come with 8 rounders instead of 7 rounders? I know the 10 round magazines stick out of the pistol and need an extension pad. What about the 8 round magazines?

Thanks again!
    Lance

ps...I've finally found my dream 1991a1 stainless online...now I just need the cash to buy it with!

gregszx2
    (2/25/03 12:40:03 pm)
    Reply Re: A dumb question about magazines.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The original GI magazine was 7 rounds for the govt model. New designs in springs and the follower in the magazine let them add an extra round in there. As a result most of your better guns come with 8 rounders. Both the 7 and 8 round mags are the same length externally. I have 2 Kimber mags that are 8 rounders and 2 Colts that are 7 rounders. Look very similar. I have 3 Wilson combat 8 rounders that have a butt pad on them, but otherwise are the same. Some claim the 7 round models are a tad more reliable, but I feel this is just a individual gun thing. The 10 shot ones do extend past the bottom some distance though.
    When this baby hits 88 MPH, your gonna see some serious $&%*

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/03 4:05:53 pm)
    Here's a few I have handy -

Left-to-Right: Colt series80 7rd (with an add-on base), Wilson 7rd, McCormick 10rd.

The wilson comes with a solid extended base to ensure positive seating of the magazine.
    The base is also removeable, making for easy disassembly of the mag.
    'Standard' GI-style mags have welded flat plates, and the Follower has to be wriggled out the top of the magazine.

The McCormick mag has a long tube, which protrudes from the grip quite a bit. The grip is wrapped in a large base, leaving the bare metal base exposed. It extends the grip of the weapon, and improve the ergonomics, and it makes a good grip for pulling it from the mag-holder.

And snakeeye, there are some upgrade parts, particularly for hi-cap double-stack mags, that replaced the solid basepad with a hollowed-out slightly extended version that allow a +2 increase in capacity.

Rich

Snakeyez77
    (2/25/03 9:38:45 pm)
    Thanks for the info you guys!

Do any of you have a brand of choice for magazines? It seems that Chip McCormick is the way to go...?

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/03 10:47:26 pm)
    Re: A dumb question about magazines.....
    Personally, there are only 3 mag makers you should consider.
    1. Wilson
    2. Wilson
    3. Wilson

Everything else is just...not Wilson.
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ruffit's Bestus Buddy*

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/27/03 1:29:17 pm)
    Wilson, McCormick and Metalform all make good mags.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/27/03 2:06:06 pm)
    Yes they do...but Wilson makes the best.

Wilson
    Wilson
    Wilson...
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/27/03 3:38:35 pm)
    hey-soos Boomatic, how about giving the guy some anecdotal / technical info, instead of just repeating the brand name over and over and over...

And I'll have to look into 'Metalform', don't think I've ever heard of them...
    Rich

Edited by: rayra at: 2/27/03 3:39:17 pm

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/27/03 6:58:08 pm)
    Rich,

Metalform mags are available from Brownell's. My first ones came with a Gold Cup built by Ken Hallock. The mags worked great in IPSC matches in any of my 1911's.

Best mags for semi-wadcutter bullets I have found for the $$. JMHO

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/1/03 5:22:23 am)
    something unique about the shape of their follower, or the angle of the feed lips? Used LSWC for my own IPSC years, and took some fiddling with feed ramp and throat and round seating to get a reliably-feeding combination. Often wondered it more up-angle on the feed lips of the mags would have helped.
    Rich

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/1/03 5:18:21 pm)
    Gee, Rich, the question I answered was:

Quote:
    Do any of you have a brand of choice for magazines?

Not much to tell...in my opinion...which is all that we give here...Wilson mags far exceed all others in quality and reliability. What more do you need to know. They work best for me. I do have some metalform that work particularly well in my Commander...but I still like Wilson's best overall.

Anecdotal, you say? Duh!!! Everything on here is anecdotal. If you want technical information look it up! We are here to offer advice and opinions...if you don't like my delivery of my empirical information...IGNORE ME!

Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

Edited by: boomatic at: 3/2/03 10:56:54 am

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 5:31:35 pm)
    Reply mags
    Anecdotal Evidence: I replaced my stock mag with McCormick...I replaced the McCormick’s with Wilson...Now my gun and I are both happy…because if my gun ain’t happy, nobody’s happy.

Anybody out there willing to trade me 1 Wilson for 2 McCormick's? I might even throw in the stock mag & some cash

Chuck

Jon, if yer out there.........................YOU RULE

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 6:24:54 pm)
    Go Chuck...heck, I might even forgive ya fer bein a R-Kansan!!!

:
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 3:41:29 am)
    Reply Re: mags
    boomatic, BALLS.
    being even the least bit descriptive might give a reader some better sense of what your opinion is based on, or what particulars stand out in your product of choice. Just chanting a brandname doesn't tell anyone anything except your final result, and not how you got there.
    And that you'd also had a good experience with metalform.
    (shrug)
    Hell, hearing two good comments on Metalform, I'm curious to try them out...

Rich

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 8:57:14 am)
    He asked for a "brand name choice"...I gave him one. What're you bustin' mine for...jeez, I didn't realize you were the arbiter of rules here...forgive me!
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 3:11:38 pm)
    Reply forgive me
    If you could find it in your heart to forgive this poor wretched "R-Kansan" oh most exalted Pope-o-matic...I would be eternally and geographically great-full.

Grovelingly yours...

Your humbleist of humble servants...

Woooooooooo, Pig! Sooie!

Woooooooooo, Pig! Sooie!

Woooooooooo, Pig! Sooie!

Razorbacks!!

What do they say about a pig going back to the mud?

Chuck

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 3:55:53 pm)
    Chuck...
    ...got me there.

In your honor...

UARK Fight Song
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 4:26:17 pm)
    Reply "Okay-You"
    I feel like a tic...I done got boomed by the boom-man hisself. good one on the fight song

I got just one thing for "ya:" when you sing "Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma!" "Rah" is the Egyptian equivalent of Baal...you guys are singin' to the wrong god Y'all need to clean that up or you'll never get past Colorado

Chuck

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 10:42:42 am)
    Re: Chuck...

So Chucky, who are the Egyptian eq's for Sis, Boom, and Bah?
    Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 11:03:34 am)
    Reply egypt
    I'm glad you asked. Of course they are related to Rah...sis-Dah; bashboom-Yah; and boo-Bah

If I'm not mistaken, "sis" was Pharaoh’s daughter (or sis-Dah as she was known around the house) who was known to be a pretty good dancer.

"Boom" is short for bashboom-Yah…this dude was a linebacker on the Desert Sphinx’s (hall of fame, I think) and embodies the spirit of crushing the opponent.

And Bah is the Egyptian spirit for “heh ya dumb ref--can’t ya see--that was a horrible call…boooo-baahhhh.” Bah is also therefore intimately connected to the “scapegoat” in Egyptian lore.

And so there we have it…the major ingredients to the team cheer. The only thing missing is the keg of beer...er, libation

March madness

Chuck

Edited by: Chas at: 3/6/03 5:01:18 pm

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 4:08:52 pm)
    Re: Chuck...

Boom-a-tic
    Everyone's Doing It!!!