A few NOOB questions

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by z537z, Jan 17, 2004.

1. z537z

z537z New Member

Well, first of all I love 1911s to no end, despite never having shot one. But after holding every one I've found at gunshow or gunshop (including a nice long slide Springfield...wow), and then watching (don't EVER watch cool movies when you've got money in your wallet) "Last Man Standing" with the ridiculous dual-pistolero action I got a hankerin. While I'm not buyin anything for at least a while (summertime at the soonest) in .45 I've got a few Q's for ya'll experts:

Springfield's Milspec is a nice no-nonsense gun, but does it have the accuracy potential of, say, the "Basic" competition model with all the same internals as the high-end guns? I know it's not spiffy, and that's what I like. I just still want to be able to pick off cans at 50 steps (Like I can with my S&W 617 (gun still outshoots me, but I'm workin on it)).

Brands? Kimber and Springfield (though I like Dan Wesson's stuff too) seem to be the ones. But if an old Colt appears at the gunshop, will it shoot up to my expectations? Accuracy is more important to me than, say, being able to shoot 1000 rounds without cleaning it after 2 weeks in the trenches :p.

I like a no frills gun because I will have it out in the dirt a little, but it's gotta be able to shoot!

Thanks for the input. I'm just new here, I'm a regular at the rimfire forum. Come on over!

_z
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The Springfield Mil-Spec is a great 1911 but I'd save a little extra cash and buy the "Loaded" model. It already has all the extras you will want to add later. ( and you will.)

The loaded model had better sights, fit is a little tighter, etc. In my experience, the "loaded" model is a little more accurate out of the box.

The older Colts can be decent shooters, but most I owned had to be tweeked a little to group well.

Maybe you can find a used Kimber. I'd take that over the Colt.
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

NOT being a 1911 expert, I'd offer this........

You might be happier if you could decide what's more important, accuracy, or a basic, or an old Colt. I qualified well with a Colt 1911 in the sevice, but that pistol couldn't hold a candle to my Kimber Pro CDP. The old Colts and most "service grade" pistols don't have the close tolerances to maintain accuracy. They're made to feed and fire under almost any conditions, and accuracy was secondary. Buy what you "want" rather than try to make what you can afford shoot accurately. Then again, "accurate" has different definitions for different folks.

Just my non-expert two cents worth.

Jay
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I love my Springfield Mil-Spec and it's great for my purposes, which is plinking, self-defense and not for match shooting. It does shoot well and accurately out of the box, however.

Only problem is denting brass which I'm told will clear up after five hundred rounds or so.
  6. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

QUOTE:It already has all the extras you will want to add later. ( and you will.)

remeber those words ,Regardless of your final decision
  7. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

I have a question z. Are you wanting a plinker, a every day carry piece, target pistol, or what? Also, what is your price range? Everybody likes what they own, like Marlin and his Springfield, and me and my Firestorm. I had a Kimber target pistol that was super accurate, but I really didn't need a target pistol, so I traded it off. My Firestorm suits me just fine for carrying and home defense. It doesn't have the tight groups the Kimber had at 25 yds. but for a defensive gun it works. If I were to want a 1911 that shoots tight groups, and use it for every day carry, and had the bucks to spend, I'd get a compact Kimber. That way you get what you want in one package and don't have to go buy all the extra goodies to make something else shoot as well. Just my .02 worth. By the way, hope you are practiceing with your Romy, for the .22 compititions ;) .
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

My Kimber Classic Custom (I) is a great gun. No frills, but nothing to break or go wrong. Nor is it so "pretty" you worry about the occasional scratch or ding. (Like I do with my Eclipse Ultra).

No exp with Springfields, but have heard good things. Held a S&W last week - fit and function seemed great. Dealer said S&W had been making frames for Kimber for years - which I think is BS. I have heard about S&W's going back for some recall issue.

Basic reliable 1911 = Kimber Klassic Kustom - mine keeps a clip full in the bottom of a coffee cup all day at 25 yds.
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The dealer is telling the truth.
  10. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

yes he was ,they have been making them for kimber ,and the S&W 1911 was the one recalled
    it has nothing to do with kimber

http://safety.smith-wesson.com/pages/1911_recall

i heard that kimber recently started making their own frames ,but kimber still makes the barrels ,don't know how much truth there is to it
  11. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

To be honest, I've heard so many things regarding the true maker of Kimber frames that I don't know what to believe. I've even heard IMI makes them for several folks and marks them as needed - to include Kimber.

Oh well, maybe someone at Snopes has the dope!!
  12. z537z

z537z New Member

Thanks for all the info folks!

I want one for plinking/possibly a carry gun (size not a problem), but I plink seriously, ie I like to be able to shoot them coffee cups at 30 or 40 paces as well as 25.

I like the look of kimbers and springfields, but the budget's not quite there. I'm thinkin nothing over 700 total. Not much, I know.

I'll see what the gunshop has of course.

P.S. If anybody has a Springfield Long Slide that they'd like to trade for, say, a Romanian Trainer? :p

I like the SW617 I use. A lot. But the SW1911 seems a little green for my tastes.

_z
  13. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Look for a Rock Island. A buddy at work bought one and it would make a pretty good starting point. He paid $380 for it NIB, and anything Colt or comparable will work as far as parts swapping. Something to think about.
  14. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

I too have an interest in my first 1911. It's one of those moels that I always figured I'd own someday "just because" but never had one hih enough on my list to actually purchase one. I'm planning to buy the Springfield mil-spec plain-Jane version for my father-in-law this coming Christmas but may finnaly break down and get one for myself. I initally liked Kimbers but have heard much about falling q/c these last few months. Every company has it's "oopses" but just headr of too many from kimber. Did look at Les baers a hile back and a shooter I know bought the Monolith. Said he'd never buy another 1911 unless it was a Baer. Hmmmm...

Just curious, where in ME are ya?
  15. z537z

z537z New Member

Well if I had THAT kinda money I'd buy a Les Baer, but I sure as heck don't. :mad:

I'm from Brunswick, but I'm down here in Mass for college. Can't wait for spring break, gonna go shootin!

_z