a few old single shots and a pump

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cool63truck, Oct 21, 2010.

1. cool63truck

cool63truck New Member

i just recently bought some old guns from an older man who had them stuck in a closet so his grandkids would not get them. he wanted to sell them so i payed him 300 for all 6 guns. here is what i have:

1. a stevens 410 single shot break over. the barrel is alittle rust on the outside but is like a mirror on the inside once i cleaned it. it has no numbers on it.

2. a iver johnson 20 guage single shot breakover. the barrel is also alittle rusty in places on the outside but is like a mirror on the inside once i cleaned it. it has no numbers also.

3. a wards westernfield 22 bolt action. the wood is alittle cracked but the gun shoots great. no numbers either.

4. a ithaca pump 37 12 guage. has a little surface rust but the gun loads and unloads like a champ. byfar the best looking gun out of the six.

5. a American Gun Company 12 gauge single shot breakover. has some pitting on the inside of barrel but still has blueing on the outside. i am afraid to shot it with the pitting inside the gun.

6. a New Long Range Winner single shot breakover. the whole gun looks great but when i put a 12 gauge shell in it the auto ejector does not catch so is it possible that it is a 10 guage or the auto ejector is wornout.

my questions are what is a rough value of these guns and did i overpay for the guns, is gun 5 safe to shoot and what could be wrong with gun number 6. thanks
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If the Ithaca 37 works, it's worth an easy 200. That means you got everything else for a hundred bucks. Not bad.

Stevens and Iver single shots - maybe 75 bucks each.

Long Range Winner and American Gun Company are both probably hardware store guns. Back in the late 18 and early 19 hundreds, some gun companies would put anything you wanted on a gun. Stamp 20 of 'em "Bay State" and the next 20 off the line - the exact same guns - "White Powder Wonder". Why? Don't know. Maybe the store would sell the White Powders for more money than the Bay States, or the other way around. Hard to tell what you have. Crescent Firearms made shotguns and marked 'em with several hundred different names. But then again, Bay State was made by several different makers. Whoever would give the buyer the cheapest price when he was looking to resupply.

Your Montgomery Wards 22 is the same thing. Savage or Marlin, or maybe Winchester made the gun, and stamped Wards' name on it. It's not worth as much as an identical rifle that has the maker's name on it, but it's a good gun none the less. It's probably worth 75 bucks or so.

The pitting in the American Gun depends on where it is in the barrel and how bad it is as to whether the gun is safe to shoot.

Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, guns were not required to have serial numbers. Most companies put them on their high-dollar guns, anyway, to keep in-house records, but their cheap guns might not be numbered. That's why none of your guns have serial numbers. They are all older than 1968, and were inexpensive.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

You paid about the right amount for the six guns, figuring they are worth around $50 each. If you were selling them at a gun show you might be able to sell them for an average of $75 apiece, mayby slightly more if you get them nicely cleaned up.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    not a great deal,but not bad.i would suggest you take to gun shop and have them tell you if safe to shoot or not. old semperfi
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

An Ithaca 37, 12 gauge pump. Fifty dollars? Where?
  6. cool63truck

cool63truck New Member

ya, i actually payed 100 for the ithaca, 50 each for 20 gauge,the 410, and the long range 12, and 25 each for the 22 and the american gun co. thanks for the replies
  7. cool63truck

cool63truck New Member