A former owner’s review of a Sig P232.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by cec, Oct 31, 2005.

1. cec

cec New Member

I wanted to give my review of a Sig P232 (.380 ACP) that I owned for about a year and a half. I hope that this is useful for anyone thinking about buying a concealed carry pistol.

While I did just trade this gun, I want to say that is was not because of a fault with the gun, more of a personal feeling.

During the time I owned the gun it never failed to fire and the only time it jammed was when I put about 300 rounds thought it in one sitting. The ammo was pretty dirty and it needed a cleaning to be back in business.

I found it to be a well made gun, easy to disassemble, clean, and re-assemble. The fit and finish was incredible. It never felt loose or like it was going to come apart in my hands. A word of warning, when cleaning watch out for this one clip/spring that will come flying out if you are not careful, took me an hour to find the thing after it flew across my basement.

The reason I got rid of it was personal. The gun didn’t really fit my hands that well (medium to large) and found my self thinking too much when I was aiming it. Given that was for carry purposes, that thinking time could be dangerous. However people who I loaned it to with smaller hands never had a problem with it. Within the last couple of months it started to just not feel right in my hands.

So when it is all said and done, I have to say that the Sig P232 is a great gun, but not a good match for me. If you are considering one, I can recommend it and don’t think it is a bad choice. Do be careful with the magazine, I lost count of the blood blisters when my pinky was in the wrong place.
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Isn't the mag release on the butt, and if so what did you think of it?
  3. cec

cec New Member

The Mag release is on the butt. That is what caused the blood blisters, caught my pinky in a the first few times.

While it was hard to accidently release the magazine, I am used to the more traditional release, ie hit the button with my thumb and use my other hand to get the magazine.

Once I got the hang of it, the release wasn't that bad. I just had to adjust my reloading to this gun.
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Okay, sounds like you didn't see that release as any disadvantage.

I asked because my actual first semi-auto was an Italian .32 brought back from WW2 and handed down to me. It had that type of release. I was maybe 13 and wasn't very savvy with any type of auto pistol anyway. Shot it about twice weekly and did try to figure out a reasonably quick way to reload but never really succeeded unless I was already holding the spare (the empty mag always required a tug out too). Finally decided it was a good idea to not get in a situation where reloading that gun might be necessary (when I got a bit older I realized that that logic was good with any gun anyway).

Later on I got more pistols and decided a thumb release was the only way to go. I guess most auto shooters wouldn't argue. Just hard to beat one thumb versus two hands. Seen though still that even those releases ain't always foolproof, especially if the release catch gets worn or tension spring weakens. Saw a service pistol that would drop a mag while holstered and no armorer could fix it so it got pulled from issue. I can live with a release on the heel if it's a gun that will just be used to shoot a threat and then make tracks away like real fast real far. Some shooters won't bear one though.
  5. cec

cec New Member

The release wasn't a disadvantage to me. The main reason I choose the gun was that it was real easy to conceal and I shot pretty well with it.

Plus I took the view of if I need more than 7 rounds to get out of the situation, I was in a running gun battle and not a "standard" scenerio. My goal is to use what I need to get away from the situation and not mow down everything that moves :D

The good news is that I never had to pull the gun out, other than at the range. I hope to not have to do it with my new carry pistol.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

The real question here is..........what did you replace it with. ;) :D :D
  7. cec

cec New Member

Replaced with a Kimber Compact, see the 1911 forum for the details. :)