A fun day shooting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 76Highboy, Apr 14, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Today my grandson Devyn and I went target shooting. He is 14 years old and we had a blast,,, literally. He has shot his .22 cal before, but today he shot my Remington model 1100 12 gauge shotgun, my Ruger SBH 44mag and my Springfield 45XD for the first time. On the 44 mag I loaded him up some 200gr RNFP with 4.3g of Trail Boss and they were cruising at about 757fps, and then I stepped him up to 6.3g of the Trail Boss which was cruising at about 885 fps and they were still pretty mild. After he shot those up he began licking his lips towards my 240gr HP-XTP with 22.0g of WIN 296 which put it cruising at about 1200fps. He began shooting those as well. All together we shot 350 rounds of the big bore handgun ammo, a half a box of 12 gauge ammo, and more .22 caliber bullets then we could count.

I worked him on sssqqqwweeezziiinnggg the trigger, and like always proper gun safety. He now fully understands the semi auto pistol and was pretty proud when he shot the 12 gauge.

After that, we locked the hubs in on the 76 F-250 and I let him drive it for about 20 minutes. Lets just say, he had arrived!!!

I have only been in his life (and 6 other grandkids too) for a little over 5 years. Technically I am not biologically their grandfather but their parents (my wife's children) tell me that I spend more time with them than their real grandfathers do. I get them knives and take them shooting and fishing. I tell them they make me proud and I tell them I love them. It was cool when they began calling me grandpa on their own.

Also, just a litte about Devyn, he is a genius (I on the other hand am on the other end of the scale because I had to ask my wife how to spell genius and she is laughing as I write this). When he was in the 7th grade they tested him and found that his intelligence was at college level. This kids gonna be a rocket scientist,,,, and he's a Christian. Oh ya, and he will beat anyone at gaming while playing checkers.
  2. 76Highboy

Here's some pics.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  3. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

Donnie D :D
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Sounds like good fun..........nice collection there. Sounds like a good kid.
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Caring and teaching is priceless!

He'll remember it forever. ;)
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

looks like u had a great day, he is driving?
  7. Munch

Munch Member

What a great day! I'm sure he'll remember it forever.
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Hey I was driving a 3 speed tractor when I was 13, FUN STUFF!:D
  9. 76Highboy

Hi, my name is Devyn. Yes, I had to drive Jim and his lazy butt all the way back home.
    I had a lot of fun :AR15firing:. Jim's face makes me :lmao2:
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Great day out. Well done. He looks really proud (in a good way) in those pictures. That's the kind of thing he'll talk about at school and the kids will say "Wow", what a great grand dad he has!"

Of course the PC brigade will try to punch holes in it, but I say, Well Done. He is one happy kid and you are one great grand dad.
  11. 76Highboy

Hi Blackeagle, my name is Devyn and I'm highboy's grandson. What country do you live in?
  12. BlackEagle

Hi Devyn; Glad to meet you. Your grand dad says good things about you. I live in Scotland, which is part of the United Kingdom.
  13. 76Highboy

Highboy thought UK was Ukraine, Russia. Just had to clarify some things with him. I need to jog his memory, him being as old as he is.:D
  14. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

:lmao2:
  15. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

And he just thinks hes out shooting.
    When in realaty You both are making great memories:)
  16. BlackEagle

:D:D Yes, smile when you say how old he is; I'm maybe just as old as he is. Or maybe he is as old as I am... :D:D

Whatever his age, he sounds like a great guy to take you out for a great day of shooting and driving. Looks like you both had fun.
  17. 01brian

01brian New Member

sounds like a fantastic day!!!
  18. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Thats an awesome story jim thanks for sharing buddy.oh yeah this is dirty Ryan and dont forget it lol
  19. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

Devyn is lucky to have a grandpa like you, highboy. even though I've lived with my grandpa for most of my life we grew apart when I was Devyn's age. really wish I could go back in time and have a relationship with my grandpa like you guys have.
  20. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Nice handgun collection you got there.I remember my Dad letting me and my brothers drive his pickup truck on country dirt roads when we were kids.Looks like you had a fun day.