A good C&R rifle to convert to a Hunting rifle

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

mckheean
    (7/9/02 3:46:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All A good C&R rifle to convert to a Hunting rifle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would like some input on a good C&R rifle to convert into a deer rifle.I do not want to take a collector grade and mess it up.I would like one that you can buy a scope mount and new stock without a lot of work and will also look good when finished. Thanks Benny This is my first time on the board.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/9/02 4:19:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: A good C&R rifle to convert to a Hunting rifle
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi mckheean......welcome to TFF.

Guess it all depends on what kind of hunting you like to do, and what size game you hunt.

Almost any of the Mauser action military rifles will do the job, and the most of the original military calibers (6.5mm, 7mm, 8mm, .30-06) make fine hunting rounds.

The Enfield P14 in .303 British is also a good one, especially the Jungle Carbine is a fine little deer rifle without any conversion at all. The Ishapore Enfield in .308 would do the job nicely too, but I'm not sure if it's C&R.

I'm sure there are others.....anybody have any other suggestions?

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/9/02 7:49:37 pm)
    The Turkish Mauser in 8mm or the Spanish Guardia mausers in .308 are a good buy. Like the man said...nothing wrong with a used enfield either.

I favor the mausers but I have been accused of favoritism.
    Wyoming Swede

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/9/02 8:30:46 pm)
    If you can find a model with an already turned down bolt, you have half the battle to sporterizing already done. Then you just need a replacement stock and scope mount. The Spanish Model 1916 (either .308 or original 7mm) has a turned down bolt. The .308 version is available from distributors for around $129.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

mckheean
    (7/12/02 7:20:01 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Who carries the Spanish 308
    Bob,Who carries the Spanish 308 or 7mm? Thanks Benny

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/12/02 11:10:51 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Who carries the Spanish 308
    SAMCO in Florida lists the .308 ones available. They may have the 7mm ones also, but I am not sure.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

ssurell
    (7/14/02 11:53:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del C&R Hunting Rifle
    Check FAC (gunsnstuff.net), they have a good selection of C&R rifles at competative prices. They also carry sporterized stocks, parts, and barrels for Mausers. They have a stock listed that has a built in scope mount for M98's for $80: "Fits 7mm/8mm, large-ring, standard bent-bolt* Mauser 98's including German K-98, Czech VZ-24, Yugo 48/48A*, Turkish 1903/1937/1938/1946, etc. *will not fit straight bolt or wide-arc bolt Mausers. Must convert to bent bolt"

Why they don't have an astrisk after the VZ-24, I don't know because it has a straight bolt, at least mine does. I would go with the Yugo just because it's the more modern of the 98's with the good metal quality, which you can get for just over $70 with a cracked stock. But if you want the best velocity, go with the the longer barreled Turk, they're even cheaper.

Another option is the Mosin Negant in 7.62x54Russian. It has a little better ballistics than the 8mm and you can sport it out as well for the same money. I probably would have gotten one instead of my VZ-24 because of the ballistics, but I thought the R in 7.62x54R meant rim fire, and I wanted reloadable cardriges. Come to find out, they're centerfire (doh!).

ssurell
    (7/15/02 12:18:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 308, nah
    Personally, a .308 rifle would not be my first choice for larger game. It's designed more for soft skinned vermine like us. Would be good for cyotes also I would reckon. I'm sure a good marksman could easily take down a deer with a .308, but give me more lead, and more powder. I want that deer to do a flip and drop dead. Elk, Moose, you want a big chunk of lead pushin' 2000 fps out of the gate. 8mm would probably do justice, 7.62x54R, a little better. 30-06 would be perfect. If you really want to get serious, you can rebarell your Mauser to a 300 Winchester Magnum.

ssurell
    (7/15/02 12:51:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Ok, I'm an idiot.
    I am hay naying about a different round. The .308 would be superior to the 8mm Mauser or 7.62x54R. But still can't beat the 30-06.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/15/02 8:57:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ok, I'm an idiot.
    but darned close to the .30-06

.308 is a excellent deer round. A little big for coyotes. At least for us hide hunters.
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/15/02 6:19:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Ok, I'm an idiot.
    ssurell, if I didn't welcome you before to TFF then by all
    means Welcome Aboard Sir!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

velvetnsteel
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/20/02 9:23:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del sporter
    mck..........what did you decide on? I am a little late, but am partial to the Mausers and Enfields. You have to be a bit careful in your choices if you plan to handload. Some types are easier to mount scopes on also.

I like the smaller calibers. The Swede 6.5 X 55 or the various 7 X 57's are perfect for anything up to deer sized game. If you want to go to moose, elk, etc go to something in .30 cal. or bigger like the 8 X 57. A lot of people ignore the British Enfield, but it is an EXCELLENT sporter if you handload and can fine tune your loads.
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

The LawII
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/20/02 5:24:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del The Spanish...
    ..Here is the turned down bolt .308...perfect for putting in a different stock...or because it is very light weight put a scope on it and happy hunting!....