A Good Carry gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gunguy25, Dec 25, 2009.

1. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Hi i have a question what is the best carry gun that is reliable that wont break the bank to buy, am 25 and looking for my first handgun to be a carry. Personally i dont want anything under a 9mm thanks and merry christmas all
  2. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

Saying any gun is "the best" is impossible to do, because there are lots of great guns out there.

Personally, I can recommend the Glock 19 (compact) or 26 (subcompact) as superb 9mm CCW weapons. Stone cold reliable guns, and you can find them for under $500 new or under $400 used.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF !

Are you looking for a semi-auto or revolver? Where are you going to carry? Tough question to put an answer to, only real way is to get your hands on some different guns and fire as many as you can. My personal choices are Sig P239 - 40cal and Ruger SP101 in .327 FedMag. Ask 100 people and you'll get almost as many answers. Have you fired any handguns extensively? Given your stipulation of not breaking the bank, I would opt for a Sig P6 on the surplus market, I don't think you can get a better gun for the price. Some price checking and shopping around and you can find them for a little less too. JG is a solid and reputable company to deal with.
    Heres some info on the P6.
    http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/products_id/1903

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  4. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That really is an impossible question to answer. ALL guns have compromises when purchased.

The one thing I will say is: Since this will be your first "carry" weapon, stay away from a full size handgun, "SUB" compacts and stub nose revolvers.

A FULL-Size handgun is easier to learn on and practice accuracy. But! they are more difficult to conceal and more uncomfortable to carry.

A "SUB" compact and stub nose revolvers are more "concealable" weapon and comfortable to carry. BUT! They are very specialized weapons and take time to learn how to use AND shoot with "consistant" accuracy.

I would probably focus on "compact" model "semi-automatic" handguns. They are a good compromise between the extremes.

My choices are:
    I carry a Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact 45acp. It has a Full-size grip w' a 3.3" barrel; with a TEN rd concealable magazine and a THIRTEEN rd back up mag.. I have found this handgun to be reliable and extremely accurate; especially at combat distances. It is also very concealable AND affordable. (A good compromise!)

I also like/own a 24/7 ProC 40 S&W; 24/7 ProC 9mm AND I like the XD compact models. They have a longer barrel but shorter/more concealable grip. (The grip is the most difficult part of a handgun to conceal.) I've also tried glocks; but a glocks grip did NOT suit my tastes.

I would go to a local range and rent a few guns to try. I would also start visiting some gunshops and handle has many as possible. Be sure and visit a number of shops. (Dealers are known to push certain brands for kickback $$.)

Ask a LOT of questions at the range and gunshops. See what the majority of other shooters may be using at your local range.

Comfort, Concealability, Fit and "EASE" of Function should be you primary concerns.

Beyond the above: Caliber, Capacity and Affordabilty should be the least of your concerns.

YOU have to decide what's the MOST important to you; AND what you are willing to "compromise" on.

Take your time and good luck!
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  5. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

yeah i shot a pt145 and hit everything i aimed at and i have shot a few other guns to
  6. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

And thanks everyone for your input
  7. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Ruger SR9c