A Good gun safe for the money..........

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by netexasemt, Aug 23, 2011.

1. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

I have been researching fireproof safes for my home and am finding a lot of information, specs. more than anything but not a lot about personal experience and preference. I know each person has different preferences but I'm open to any knowledge and guidance I can find. I first wanted a Liberty Fat Boy Jr. safe that I saw at Atwoods but after looking at it found that it only has locking bolts on one side of the door AND it has internal hinges which I am understanding takes room away from the inside of the safe where fireboard needs to be installed and creates weak points. These safes appear to be made in Mexico to add to my disappointment. I then started looking at Winchester safes and narrowed it down to the Legacy series and the Silverado series. I like the locking bolts on all 4 sides of the door but they appear to be spot welded bodies, not solid, and the top literally peels off like a tuna can after a few minutes of beating the seams with a shop hammer. I want a good fire rating and a good sound safe that is not easily broken into. I live way out in the country and it would take quite some time for the FD to get here to start putting out a fire. I do understand that someone wanting in a safe bad enough can and most likely will get in it, if this is the case, I at least want them to be worn out by the time they do get in it so that maybe they won't take all of the contents. Any ideas on a safe with a good fire rating and not real easy to break into in the $2,000 range?
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I am curious as to how you found that "top literally peels off like a tuna can after a few minutes of beating the seams with a shop hammer."

Not many safe dealers will let the prospective customer do that to a safe!

Jim
  3. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Re: A Good gun safe for the money..........?

No sir', I wouldn't imagine that they would. I was doing a google image search on the Winchester Silverado series safes to get ideas on how to position everything inside when I get my safe. I came across a picture of one that looked a lot different than the others, it had been beaten on the seams with a shop hammer, claiming it took only 3 minutes to do so. I'll add a picture.

Attached Files:

4. Squeak

Squeak Member

I'm not trying to do a commercial, but I've personally got a "Champion" safe & I like it a lot. This company has been in business for a long time & I feel that they make a quality product. It does NOT have external hinges, but it's got a lot of bolts coming out of the door on three sides.
    I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that my stuff is in there. Mine has got a 45 minute fire rating @ 1300 or 1500 degrees - - - not sure which.
    Check em out at championsafe.com
  5. 45fullmoon

45fullmoon New Member

Based on what research I've done over the past few weeks, the Liberty Lincoln or Presidential series, or the Champion Triumph or Crown series, will provide you with the security and fire rating that you want. But in the 2K price range, you would need to stick with one of the smaller models in the Lincoln or Triumph series.
  6. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

I have a Fort Knox made in utah and you can order direct from them. Mine is about 20 years old now, I bought it new.
  7. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Bass Pro has the Browning. The Expedition and the Silver seem to be really good.
  8. savage170

savage170 Member

If you have room I now use one of those safety rooms for a gun vault wish I had done that 3 safes ago this is the one I went with
    http://stormsaferoom.com/aboveground/index.htm I just mounted racks on the walls for my guns and if a hurricane comes thru I also have a place to stay
  9. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Thank you all for your replies! I apologize for the delayed response, Hurricane Irene has kept me very busy out on the East coast, I just got back home to Texas late this past week. I will research all responses and try to make a decision soon. Savage170: as far as the safe room, I like that a lot and think its a great idea, but I had to do quite a bit of begging to even get the wife to agree with a safe. Something about it not really going with her decor or something like that. Again, thank you all very much, as soon as I make a decision I will post pictures of my new safe.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Listen, go on e-bay and look up PIONEER safes or seller marc17522. You will see his PIONEER safes. He has safes that I have compared to almost everybody out there. 1300 DEGREE one hour safes 28 gun 1/4' steel doors with 1 1/2 bolts all the way around the door for $925.00 DELIVERED. Its crazy to go elsewhere.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  11. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

I like mine for a grand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Tractor supply has them on sale this week
  13. Double D

These have 12 1 1/2 solid steel bolt lock lugs in the door. The door is 1/4 in steel. Mine is 30" wide and 24 deep and 59" high. It weighs like 750 lbs. Its a 28 gun safe. I challenge anyone to match those numbers with the price. I did weeks of research and many are the same size, but not the same steel thickness or the same amount of bolts or fire rating for the money. They dropped shipped it to me in 2 days. CORRECTION! I originally said liberty and meant to say PIONEER SAFES not liberty.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  14. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I've been shocked at how much less they sell safes for than anywhere else...
    a Cannon 36-gun safe I got was on sale for $599 a last year on Black Friday...

Watch for Black Friday Ads...it ain't gonna be much longer...and those sales get INSANE!!!
  15. Double D

But, are they even close to the steel and the locks and the fire rating? There are times that you get what you pay for.