A good left-hand bolt action ??

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by oldbrass, Jan 10, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

Looking to get out of the brush and get a 30-06 for the hi country, I haven`t had a bolt action in 20+ years so its time.I don`t know whats good for the money these days.
    looking in the 550-650 $$ range.
    Savage ,Tika,other. new vs used??? I don`t know (somebody please help me...)

P.S. this is going to be a hunting rifle so it doesn`t have to be pretty..
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

+1 for the above. If you are comfortable looking at a gunshow, feel free to look at what is available (new or used) on that day. With 30-06 rifles you have the most common caliber made for hunting guns; left handed guns are less common but also will be slower to sell for the dealers who have them. Also consider .308 or maybe a Savage lever action in 308 or 300 savage if it feels shootable to you.
  4. oldbrass

oldbrass New Member

A savage, well alright then I`ll go to Cabellas and handle one, I appreciate the advice as I really have know idea whats a good bolt action rifle these days, there are just to many choices and I`m on a budget.
  5. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I honestly dont know if WBY even makes a left handed Vangard, but if they do you might want to check one out as well. For the money the Vangard2 cant be beat or even equaled, in my opinion.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I love savages. They are, IMO, the best bolt action rifle for the money.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

dont forget Tikka the T3 comes in a lefty version
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Savage,Tikka T3, Browning A-bolt, Remington 700, Ruger 77.
    These are the only lefties that I can think of right now.
    CZ527, but that's .223 sized cases only. I'd love to see a lefty CZ550.

Weatherby makes a lefty MarkV action but not a Vanguard. I wish they would, I'd be shopping for one too.
    But since the Vanguard line was "bargained-down" as the Vanguard 2 (no better fit or finish than the Howa 1500 marked versions) I don't see it happening.

Since you're on a budget, I'd also look at Josh's recommendation of the Savages.
    The T3 and 700 will be roughly a hundred or so higher and the A-bolt about another hundred bucks.
    All of them are good actions but you just can't beat the bargain you get in a Savage (if you can put up with the UGLY action).
    My opinion...They ain't purty but they sure do shoot. :D
  10. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I definitely think they are at the very least a legitimate contender for that title. I love Savage. The only thing I can fault them with is until recently their availability of magnum cartridges was somewhat limited. They had .300 Win mag, 7 Rem mag. 338 Rem mag and that was about it. Now they have most of what I want.
  11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

The Vangard 2 is a vast improvement over the Vangard. It may not look quite as good, but it shoots much better.
  12. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I have a Savage 110 and a Ruger M77 in LH bolt actions. I highly recommend either. One caveat, my Savage is almost 30 years old, so I am not sure how similar it is to the current models.
  13. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I'm a big fan of the Browning which is available in LH. Also, the Ruger No. 1 is a great rifle albeit a single shot. You might want to look at one of those......
  14. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

On that one I will beg to differ with ya. Besides 3 Howa 1500s, between myself and a friend we've got 4 early Vanguards and 2 S&W1500s. A handful of us in the area have been using that rifle for quite a few years for prairie dog and coyote rifles. They're an excellent rig right off the rack. The only weak spot is their semi-adjustable trigger but the early Series 2 had it too.
    Very beautiful metal finish work and excellent wood on either brand (although I don't care for the classic Weatherby stock design, I prefer the more "traditional" S&W stock profile).

Weatherby guaranteed the accuracy of the early Vanguards too...because they knew Howa was building quality rifles for them back then just like they still do. No different than the Series 2.

The fit and finish on the new Vanguard is very sloppy compared to the early models...it's finished no different than a Howa 1500 anymore, which is why they're down to nearly the same price instead of being several hundred higher. Yeah, I know we already discussed the price point (and features) in another thread a while back.
    Cheap synthetic stocks and matte metal finish on both of em, the metalwork and furniture is a big step down from the early Vanguards. The new two-stage trigger is a noteworthy improvement on the recent Series 2 though if you like the current trend towards two-stagers. I don't mind it. It does beat the previous Howa trigger by a long shot.

This is all a moot point since there is no left-hand model in the Howa/Vanguard lineup and a lefty is what oldbrass is looking for.