A GOOD LONG RANGE RIFLE

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by matty, Mar 19, 2005.

1. matty

matty New Member

:rolleyes: i am looking at getting a good long range gun without breaking the bank. i was thinking along the lines of a 7MM Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag. it would be used like i said, mostly for just long range shooting, but for some long range hunting as well.

i am not worried about the price of ammo as i reload, so that is not really a factor for me. it would be nice if it was something that a Big 5 sportinggoods store carried, because they have no limit for length on their lay-a-ways, as long as you make a payment every 30 days.

also, what would be a good scope to put on it?

2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Here are three choices:

.308 with heavy bullets

300 Win. Mag with heavy bullets

.338 Lapua.

Good luck!
  3. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Hey matty, welcome aboard:

That's a loaded question.

How much are you willing to spend on the total package?

How much shooting are you planning on doing? Those big magnums wear out a bore after about 700 shots. It'd be good to get a rifle that can be easly re-barrelled.

Are you planning on all weather shooting or are you like me and are a fair weather shooter? It makes a difference.

It may be a good idea to shop around. Maybe your sporting goods store can special order you something.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

HUH?????????

I have two Springfield M1a's that have about 3500 rounds each through them, six FN-FAL's with about 3,000 rounds through them one rem. 40x in 300 mag with 2,100 rounds through it.
  5. 3gunner

3gunner New Member

I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm Mag with a Leupold Vari-X III sitting on top. Very accurate gun.
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Blaser R93LRS in .308. Available in .338L if your into the big bores. Mine shoots like its got eyes - topped with a Luepod VXIII M3 3.5x10
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Savage Mod 10FP in .308 with a good scope.

Attached Files:

8. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

IPT listed the most widely used in long range.

I have a .308 in a standerd Ruger mkII. with 165gr SP it's taken game out to 400yrds dropped in there tracks.

My savage .308 with 26" BBL has taken coyote out at 750yrds with no problem.

My Browning in 7mm Mag has had no problems dropping critters at 500yrds. with 150gr's.

But my long range shots has been mostly on pesky coyote. When the deer aint moving and the coyote's are. Good long range fun.

Check the ammo charts on the Cal's your looking into and see which one preforms the best with the range your wanting. Everyone's idea of long range hunting differs.

I know of another round thats great for long range hunting. But it's a wildcat round. So no buying a huntng stores and rifle have to be chamberd by a smith. It's recoil is bout like a 300win. but a lot more uhmp behind the .30 cal bullet. it's known as the .300 Jarrett. Based on a resized 8mm Rem round.

or you could get a .50BMG and be deadly at bout all ranges :D
  9. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Define long range?

LTS
  10. islenos

islenos New Member

.308 / 155hpbt palma shot outta 1 in 13 twist at around 3000 fps.
  11. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

If it was up to me I would get a savage... If you ever do shoot out the barrel they are the easiest to replace.... I would also include the 7mmRemMag, 300SAUM, and the 7MMSAUM. I read that a 300SAUM could shoot the mile if done right from the bench with out too much in the mods department... But it took the author over 10 shots to get it out there.

Ray
  12. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

how about a Barrett in 50 cal
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I was recently lurking about the free section of Chuck Hawks' website doing some research into muzzle-loading (looking at buying one to extend the deer season) when I ran across a rather interesting tidbit of information about Savage and *all* of their firearms.

They pressure-test/proof *every* barrel that comes out of their factory, even their muzzle-loaders. Their muzzle-loaders are tested to ten times the maximum recommended load. That and their Accu-Trigger is arguably the best in the industry. So you could do a whole lot worse than to pick up the Savage. It's a fine rifle for your needs!
  14. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

3Gunner's choice is definitely one I would have to agree with.

15. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

i would take my remington 700P in 308 26in bull barrel. it was $899.99 plus tax and the call in, it shoots 10 shot 1/2 in groups at 100 yards with 155g sierra. it is a scope only rifle. scope is a atn 6-18x65. scope was $629.00 for a total of $1648.66 otd. rifle also has the new x-pro trigger.
    bhk308

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008