a good revolver for carrying

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Jeepdude90, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Jeepdude90

Jeepdude90 New Member

what are you guys using when you carry revolver wise?
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Taurus 85 (small frame .38 Special) in the pocket.

But I haven't carried a revolver for almost a year. It's just too easy to carry my Keltec .380 anywhere I go no matter what I'm wearing.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Oh, I forgot my manners. :eek: Welcome to TFF!
  4. Jeepdude90

Jeepdude90 New Member

haha thanks! are there any non snub revolvers that would be good for carrying? or am i better off with like a glock or xd or something?
  5. savage170

savage170 Member

Most of the time.Ruger SP 101, Smith 637, and for last ditch backup and always on me no matter what I carry a NAA 22
  6. Jeepdude90

Jeepdude90 New Member

i like 1911s. theres one at the shop for like 500 bucks its a springfield. i dunno if a 1911 would be too big to carry or not. in the winter time the 1911 wouldnt be a problem cause i wear hoodies all the time.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Smith 629 and yeah its a snubby. Problem with a full size J frame is the weight. Never found XD's to be great for CCW, kinda wide and large grip frames. For a striker fired you may be better off with a Kahr.
  8. Jeepdude90

Jeepdude90 New Member

i think everyone has a different opinion on what to carry. ive never carried before, but what are your thoughts on a 1911?
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

WRT Wheel guns - - -

I regularly carry an older Model 60 in my oxygen case, which goes everywhere with me since I am on it 24/7/365. It is an ideal way to carry concealed. When the weather is cooler and there is a better chance of concealing it, I might carry an older 629.

My preference, however, is a 1911 .45 pistol or a Browning High Power 9mm.
  10. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I agreee with the Taurus 85, like Josh said! Great little gun! Plenty of gusto for SD.
    Since we're gettin a little off track from wheel guns, I plan to carry a sub-c 1911 soon.
    Been doin a lil bit of research.
    I dont know much about Kimber yet... But they make a full size grip, compact(4") 1911. I think it called the Pro-Carry II. Chambered in .45 ACP. It also comes in a 9mm, but they seem like a fantastic carry option! I saw one a while back at a gun show. Pretty basic, but it was goin for 700 NIB, where the MSRP is almost 900 I think. Maybe 850, but either way, it seemed like a good deal. The shop owner said that he regurly sells these for "about that price" when not having show specials.
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I know many who carry a full size 1911 always. I personally can't do it. That doesn't make it wrong; it's just wrong for me.

Carrying a particular item--any item--every single day is a very personal decision. Only you have to deal with it every day, so while it is good to seek advice and opinions from many, it's something you'll have to decide for yourself.
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Marlin, I've been up WAY too long. When I read "I regularly carry an older Model 60 in my oxygen case, I immediately thought about concealing a Marlin model 60 in that case. :eek:

So, since that made sense in my head for a minute, I'm going to bed now.
  13. Jeepdude90

Jeepdude90 New Member

ive been hearing good things about kimber. i like how there are makes of a 9mm 1911. makes it a bit cheaper to practice with.
  14. Jeepdude90

Jeepdude90 New Member

i thought he was talking about a S&W model 60! hahaha
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Lyman, Dillion, Hornady, RCBS, or Lee will make it much, much cheaper for you to practice. ;)