The Firearms Forum banner

A great museum for Tank buffs here in the US

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  alsea 
#1 ·
If you are in Virginia, make sure that you visit the Tank museum in Danville, VA. My wife and I toured it last Saturday and was amazed at what this place has. It has a WW2 uniform collection that rivals most museums of the world. The Tank collection is amazing! You have to see it to believe it.

I have watched WW2 footage in black and white and was alway curious what the uniforms looked like up close and in color. It was an real eye opener.

Here is the link
http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/

#2 ·
Another great tank museum is Aberdeen Proving grounds Maryland. Not only do they have every tank made ( so it seems) they also have a tremendous firearm collection. Aberdeen was the testing grounds where all captured weapons were sent for testing. At one time one of their Tiger tanks still had the battle damage and they had a V-2 rocket that was put together after it crashed and didn't explode. Be prepared to spend several hours there and bring lots of film. WWI and WW II Tnaks and weapons.

#3 ·
patton museum has a few tanks here in kentucky. yall come visit me when you get this way.

#7 ·
i dont know, his name is Charlie (charles) phillips. sometimes called Junior too.

#8 ·
Aberdeen Proving Grounds museum

The great thing about this museum in VA is that the Tanks and artillery all have a roof over them. This place is so large that they could take in even more!

I have heard that the museum at Aberdeen has the tanks out in the weather year round and many have some real serious rust problems. Hopefully they will eventually get some under shelter, especially the older WW1 era tanks and artillery that have already endured too many winters.

#9 ·
I need to visit a few of these museums. It would bring back old memories ! I was a tank mechanic/driver/gunner , in Vietnam. I am sure that they look better in a museum than underwater !!
Esteban, my father in law was a tank turret repair man in Vietnam with the 1st Cavalry Regiment which was with the Americal Division.

Even though he was a turret repair man, they helped work on the whole tank.

He did not go on patrols, but had to stand bunker guard on the perimiter of his fire base.

He went with me and my son and his boy scout troop to the Patton Museum at Fort Knox several years ago. We ate on base. Being back on base brought back a lot of memories for him.

I'm lucky being in SW Ohio. We have the Air Force museum at WRight Pat less than an hour away, and the Patton Museum two hours away.

The AirForce Museum is increadable!

#10 · (Edited)
A private tank collector named Jacques Littlefield amassed a huge collection of tanks and other military vehicles. It is located on a ranch on the peninsula south of San Francisco. He had three large storage buildings and a restoration facility nearby. He passed away last year but I think his collection is still together. It is not open to the public but they have opened it to groups. I went with a history club and was blown away. The collection runs fro WW1 era to the 1970's. He even had a Scud launcher and the half track used in "The Dirty Dozen." 'Myth Buster' filmed one of their episodes there.

Most of the collection is in running condition. They were restoring a German Panther when I was there. It came out of a swamp in Poland I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.