A Gun Stock Finish Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Halwg, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Halwg

Halwg New Member

I have 2 guns, A Ruger M-77 and a Remington 760 that have glossy finishes on the stocks. Both of these guns were bought new in the 70's and came from the factory with these finishes. Both of the finishes are still in excellent shape with no peeling, cracking, or chipping.

My question is this: Is there anything I can use on these glossy finishes to make them more of a satin look? Since the finishes are in good shape, I really don't want to strip and refinish the stocks. I just want to knock some of the gloss off and give them a more modern look.
  2. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Hi
    I refinish my stocks with a very light rub over with a fine grade of wire wool followed by a buff up with old fashioned wax furniture polish.

I find this gives a deep stain finish that is easy to keep good with the wax polish as and when required

Cheers

Enfield in NZ
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, I've done the same thing on a couple of my working rifles. 4-ought (0000) steelwool to knock the shine down, but I used good old Johnson's floor wax for the sealer coat.

I don't know if I'd do this on a real "minty" looking gun for fear of killing the resale value, but it's a nice treatment for a good working gun.
  4. Halwg

Halwg New Member

Thanks, guys. I'm going to take the stock off of the Ruger and buff it lightly with the 0000 steel wool. Was thinking about using some rubbing compound, as well.

I'd like to try it on the Remington, but I'm not sure I can get the foreend off of it. I don't want to buff the wood with it still attached to the action for fear I'll scratch the bluing. Anyone know how to remove the slide from the Remington?
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have found that you can get that super expensive looking satin sheen on any stock by lightly cutting off the gloss with 0000 steel wool followed by a rubdown using your finger tips and Baking Soda. It is as fine as the rubbing compounds they use on furniture, is cheap, and puts a sheen on the finish unlike just the plain 0000 steel wool. Use it dry and lots of it on the finger tips and rub every square inch of the stock. Then wipe it off and blow it out of the cracks and crevasses with air pressure from your compressor. Follow all that up with a coat of furniture wax polish and buff out.

A warning is in order. Only do this to a stock that has dried well for say a week or so. The longer the better.

LDBennett
  6. I don't have one, Hal, but you can get a complete take down guide for $6.00 from Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=337641&t=11082005
  7. williamd

williamd New Member

Remington site has a lot of manuals for free. Also check Ebay. Found some pretty neat manuals there! Including Rem M742. Oh, the forearm is easy to remoce and replace!

Do the finishes the way YOU want them. The 77 and 760 are not collectors and the value will not be hurt.
  8. Halwg

Halwg New Member

Thanks, Pistol. That take-down guide is just what I need. I'll order one ahen I order some bullets so I save on shipping.
  9. Enfield

Enfield New Member

The tip about the baking soda sounds good, I will try it

Thanks for that

All the best

Enfield in NZ
  10. Halwg

Halwg New Member

I took the Ruger apart and rubbed the stock down with 0000 steel wool. Then I used some rubbing compound on it to smooth it out and finished up with some Minwax furniture paste wax. It looks pretty good. Didn't completely remove the sheen, but it's much closer to what I like than the hard, shiny finish.