A Handgun Presentation or Draw Method

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by kilogulf59, Jun 2, 2009.

1. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

A Handgun Presentation or Draw Method by Kilogulf59

Simplicity is the key to survival and with that stated - my handgun presentation is a circular continuous motion and remains the same whether I am carrying concealed (preferred) or not. Moreover, it works fundamentally similar for strong side (customary mode), appendix, or cross-draw carry.

For the sake and simplicity of explanation, let us assume I am carrying concealed at roughly the three-o’clock position:

> The gun hand sweeps under the cover garment, from the front, in somewhat of a chopping motion, and down towards the holstered weapon. The fingers rather spread, with the little finger leading through and under the garment. The fingertips maintain a faint contact with the body.

> Whilst the hand nears the holsters low-front area, it starts the upward motion of the circle and the ring and middle fingers making contact with the grip.

> Simultaneously, the thumb releases the thumb-break, (even if there isn’t one, I keep the movements the same, constantly) and I complete the grip by pulling the weapon up into the hand, as the thumb comes around to complete the grip.

> The elbow then comes straight up and, just as the weapon clears the holster, the gun hand/forearm is brought parallel to the ground and the elbow comes down (EU/ED…explained below) into a close or quarter-hip position (or continues out and into the appropriate shooting or so-called ready position).

I trust my analysis was comprehensible as I found it a bit difficult to clarify.

Points to ponder:

+ The entire process is to be executed is a smooth and flowing manner.

+ While technically a finger initiation grip, the pistol is hardly in motion prior to the thumb completing the grasp.

+ It is well to remember to grip the weapon in a vice-like convulsive manner with a locked wrist and rigid forearm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave James’ Elbow Up – Elbow Down or EU/ED

Dave James is a retired Peace Office and, if memory serves me, U.S. Army combat veteran. He also grew up with, and was tutored by, some pretty big men in the field, fathers of the trade, so to speak, such as Col. Charles Askins, Mr. Delph C. "Jelly" Brice, and Mr. William Henry “Bill” Jordan to name but a few. Additionally, Dave’s great-grandfather, a Civil War vet, and his grandfather were both marshals, his father, a Navy flyer and intelligence officer knew and learned from them all, and so did Dave.

As Mr. James explains it: “Elbow Up/Elbow Down, plain and simple, has been around for ages, but I believe it was the gentleman from Singapore (William Ewart Fairbairn) that brought it in to the light as printed word.

(Picture if you would a circle flat alongside your body, like holding a spoke less wheel.)

Drawing: The hand goes to weapon, the web of hand seats high on the back strap (revolvers) or tight under the grip tang (automatics), fingers lock down and as you draw the thumb locks down, LOCK your wrist. Accomplished correctly you will feel the muscle along the forearm quiver a tad, this is the “prime” grip.*
    (Picture in your mind an old pitcher pump or well pump.)

Keeping the elbow IN, do not let it flop around, draw the elbow straight up so the handgun clears the holster (priming/drawing water), as the handgun clears you push the elbow straight down and foreword, (flushing the pump). For some this works better when dropping the shoulder a tad ala Bill Jordan.

Now as the draw is completed you may choose where to lock in and shoot. You may go to the top of the holster, slightly forward at the hipbone, again forward to the side of the belly (for us fat guys), or even all the way out to the navel. Kind of like the old FBI crouch, Bryce inspired in my opinion.

The support hand can be just about anywhere but I was taught to have it up and into the chest/gut area in case needed. This all done with the hand and wrist locked, arm/elbow locked into the body.

If needed you continue to push the gun forward and up to the sights for distance shooting (re-priming the pump).”

*Note: Currently, with large frame double-column pistols, the tight grip and locked wrist are all the more important. This is because for some people the “prime” grip is not possible. Therefore, it follows that as long as the wrist is locked, the grip solid and tight, the recoil still flows along the arm. The only thing left to do is find the body point that fits you and the weapon used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kilogulf59’s Note: To explain EU/ED’s usage in my own words and as I understand it, it is a simple technique of drawing which gives one the ability to fire instantly upon completion, if necessary. For example, based upon the time/distance factor, firing at the holster top (at ED) is the fastest shot possible for a particularly close distance. EU/ED is the starting point in the shooting continuum that finalizes itself with two-handed sighted fire. The “correct” point in this continuum at which one decides to shoot is not chiseled in stone. It is however, based upon the individuals skill, ability, and comfort level. It is just that simple folks…as can be seen from the photos below.

[​IMG]

Available as a PDF... A Handgun Presentation or Draw Method by Kilogulf59
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

My biggest problem is wanting to raise my shoulder, have tried and tried to stop it but it plagues me sometihing terrible.........
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Hey great subject.

Several great methods, including the above. Mistakes I have seen made include swinging the gun out away from the body while going from holster to presentation/ line of fire (called tromboneing). Also position of support hand, chasing after gun and gun hand. I was taught to have hands meet low, maybe a couple of feet in front of the belly, and come up together.

To each his own. But like shooting with the weak hand, best practised now and again.
  4. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

Lotsdragon, practice...nonetheless much depends upon how high you wear the pistol. If the butt is darn near in your armpit then your shoulder will come up a lot. Just try to avoid leaning over to the weak side...incidentally if that is the case, I feel the weapon is too darned high and will cause problems at the wrong time. Women have this problem, short torsos...

Tranter, that happens man, trust me I know. Try slow-mo practice in front of a mirror to catch/correct mistakes. BTW, I train mainly for one-handed gun use so the support hand isn't an issue for me.

Thanks fellows...glad ya liked it.
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

It doesn't happen to me. Some time spent having instructors yell loudly in your ear every time the gun got out of line is a real cure all.

I remember one guy on a course just couldn't get his thumb to ride the safety (1911s) It kept slipping down. The instructors said if he didn't get it, they would break the thumb and set it so its fixed high, permanently! :eek:

Now they wouldn't do such a thing, would they? :)
  6. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

LOL...a simple solution to the problem...
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I just can't hit from the hip! I shoot low and left every time, even with a shorty 12. The method I use is basically the same, cicular draw but with a push that brings the gun up in line with my eyes. As the gun clears the holster, and comes to mid line, the free/supporting hand grasps the gun also, the safety is released, and that is where the push begins. The gun is lined up with target at the time both hands are on it, and safety off, and can be fired from close to the body. The push forward brings the gun up, and although I don't use the sights, I am looking down the barrel of the gun at the target. To reholster, the method is reversed.
  8. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

Carver, I suggest perusing the following:

The Sight Continuum

The Integration of a Gunfight

Practical Integrated Close Combat Shooting

oh and here's another gem...

Jim Cirillo's Alternative Sighting Methods

These can explain better than I plus give instruction as well. In essence, if one is trained only in two-handed sighted fire they are only partially trained.

Combat shooting involves ranges from "0" feet to as far as you can see and within the first 30 to 50 yards or so, the urgency is greater therefore the methods change.

Not that I am an expert but should you have any questions I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Oh and here's one more...Handgun Offense