A hot cup of tea and eating DEER SUMMER SAUSAGE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjmitchell60, Jan 4, 2005.

1. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I took the Ohio buck that I killed, except the tenderloins, to a packing house to make into summer sausage. I had 60 pounds of meat, some from my KY deers, so I got 60 pounds of summer sausage, 20 rolls! Well I asked the owner if he ever sold any and he said no BUT he had some that others had failed to pick up and did not want. Well the way it works is you take in your meat and pay $2.50 per pound to get the same amount of summer sausage. I asked him what the oher was going to cost me and he stated since the other people had already turned in the meat, $2.50 a pound just like I had just paid for! I bought all of the rest he had, 45 ponds of it. I also picked up 10 pounds of the best jowl bacon you ever ate but that is a different story! I came home with 35 3 pond rolls, 105 pounds, of deer summer sausage and boy are we enjoying it!!! Just ate a sandwich of deer summer sausage, sliced tomato, and Black Mountain Extra Sharp cheese! Doesn't get any better than that! If I could figure out a way to ship frozen summer sausage, I would give some away on both boards, ANY IDEAS on how to ship it?
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

the summer sausage sounds good but the jowl bacon sounds better
    I guess it is something that NJRECOP just don't understand ;) :D
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Sounds yummy, JJ!

There was a thread on here a while back discussing ideas for transporting venison home from a shoot. Would any of those ideas work? How does that steak place ship their steaks?
  4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:eek: geez that sounds good!! :)
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Put the sausage in a ziploc bag, dip the bag just up to its neck in a bucket of water to drive out all the air and seal it. Wrap that package in a layer of foil "left-to-right." Then wrap it in another layer of foil "top-to-bottom."

Put a layer of crumpled newspaper about 2" deep in the bottom of a small foam cooler. Put in the sausage and wad more paper around it and over it, about 2" thick. Put a small cake (1/2x4x4 to 1/2x6x6 inches) of dry ice on top and add another layer of crumpled newspaper to fill up the cooler. Fill the lid with wadded newspaper and put it on the cooler. Seal this with clear packing tape and take a turn of tape around the cooler, top-to-bottom, both ways. Wrap it, mark it "this side up" and ship. It will stay frozen up to 2 weeks. I have shipped homemade icecream this way, so I know it works.

Now that I've shared my secret with you (hint, hint, hint...) :D :D :D

Pops
  6. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    The dry ice idea was on my mind BUT now I have to find a place that sells it! I will start calling around tomorrow but I am betting that the nearest place is Lexington, 35 miles NE. Might give me a good excuse to run by the H-D shop as well! Look for a give away IF I can find dry ice in the next couple of weeks. Might even send some Black Mountain extra sharp cheese with it, summer sausage is best when eaten with goooood cheese IMHO.
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

JJ I will be happy to enter your give away if there is NO history lessons involved :D :D :D :D ;)
    Ron
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Ahhh come on Ron.
    How many presidents were there “before” George Washington?
  9. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Question:

If you shot the deer in winter and had it made into sausage in winter, and you eat the sausage in winter, why do they call it summer sausage? :p
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Most grocery stores here in the south, sell it. Usually up front in a freezer!
  11. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I've always wondered about the "summer" sausage vs "winter" sausage myself. Guess I'll have to google it one of these days. :p
  12. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:D that sounds great jj! i need to google & find a drooling smiley. :D
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

You can find dry ice at many of the ice cream stores. Some won't sell it even if they have it, but most will. They use it to put in with the ice cream "cakes" they build.

Pops
  14. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Dry ice? Check with the chemistry instructor at your local highschool. He'll tell you where you can get.

John