The Firearms Forum banner

A kit for reloading .22 LR

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  68c15 
#1 ·
Just came across this blurb for a reloading kit for .22 LR. Kinda pricey at $190, but looks interesting. http://22lrreloader.com/

#3 ·
If I had $200 I didn't need elsewhere, I'd be tempted to try it. But it's missing something, I think. For one, a source of primer material. Lead styphnate is certainly not difficult to make, but it does require raw materials that might not be easy to obtain. There also needs to be a tool to remove the indent from the rim caused by the previous firing. If that's left in place, there is a chance that the next firing might strike the same place and find no primer behind it. Lastly, although you could pour the primer into the case with an eyedropper and wait for it to dry, it would be preferable, I think, to spin the case enough to push the solid part of the liquid primer material out into the rim area while it dries.

Still, it seems a clever piece of kit, and for those with the time and money to spend, it will probably get the job done.

#4 ·
The thing I noticed missing was a way to resize the case. All .22 caliber chambers are not going to be the same size and I would hate to spend that much time reloading only to have the cartridges not fit in the chamber or not cycle.

Since the "cat is out of the bag" I'll bet it won't be too long before Lee, or RCBS, or someone else comes out with a set of .22 caliber dies.

#5 ·
I remember reading about a .22 rimfire reloading kit mebbe 40 years ago (I believe it may have been in an American Rifleman). The kit was fairly cheap and since .22 ammo was so cheap, it soon died. It would be fun to have one (but not $190.00 worth of fun) and just reload rimfires so I could say I did it. I still have about 7K of .22 LR and they are beginning to re-appear on the shelves, I couldn't justify buying one.

BTW; I can reload my .38 Special (and prolly my .44 Special/Magnums too) as cheap as purchasing .22 LR ammo, so I wouldn't want/need anything like a rimfire reloading kit, even in a SHTF situation...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.