The Firearms Forum banner

A lesson in prepping

6K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
#8 ·
And people say zombies don't exist:)Can you imagine being so stupid that when living in a snow belt and not clearly understanding that in the WINTER-IT FREAKING SNOWS...And every snowstorm now(Thanks to 24hr news)is the end of the world.45 yrs ago a NORMAL snowstorm for us in Me.was 2-3 FEET,no one freaked out-IT'S WINTER.Rant over

#15 ·
My survival kit is simple. Rifle, shotgun, plenty of shells. Woods have plenty of firewood. I don't plan on starving any time soon.

Reactions: Broot and flboots
#16 ·
And my bow.

#17 ·
I'm ready for what ever. Stored food, lots of ammo, plenty of guns, and the knowledge to use them. I heat my home with gas. I cook with gas. I do own a wood burning heater/stove, but it's not in the house at this time. Enough wood around here to last the rest of my life, if needed. Water isn't a problem, I would just walk down to the pond, and get 5 gallons when needed.

#21 ·
It's called conditioning. The sheep are becoming well trained. "Attention attention, prepare to panic. Wait wait...PANIC!"
here in florida every time we get a thunderstorm of any level past 'sprinkle' the news station opens of the 'storm center' to give round the clock reports and such.

i remember when that only happened during disasters like prolonged hurricane / tornado activity.. like 04/05 in florida, etc... now it's every time it rains.....

#22 ·
It has become an urbanized world. Many are too lazy to prepare for an emergency. Others can't afford to purchase a surplus from the stores to keep on hand. Everything is available at a moments notice, until the SHTF. Then they are screwed and panic. Like others have said, I try to stay ready. Storms, power outages or whatever. One thing I do keep on hand with everything else is a GOOD first aid kit, along with some aspirin and antacids. Baking soda has a ton of uses. It goes on and on. The sheep think because there's no problem right now, there never will be.

#25 ·
What I think is deplorable is that Washington DC comes to a grinding halt every time it snows a foot. Everyone gets to go home and it takes days to clear the roads. It seems ridiculous to me that the capital of the most powerful country in the world can't keep its roads plowed during a winter storm.

#27 ·
That would be all the nonperishables that will sustain life. Ya know, canned meats, vegies, fruit, juices, prepackaged meals. All the stuff you can eat cold from the can if you had to.

Reactions: dbcooper
#32 ·
this is part of the reason why I am trying to move out in the boonies, I've had the land for some time now, cleared it and fixing to raise a house this year, I experienced all kinds of living, grew up in a high rise, for the past 15 years been in the suburbs, and I thought that was nice, my grandparents were selfsufficient, and my dad depicted that lifestyle as being unnecessarily hard, that's why he got an education and a job, he still does not understand why I am trying to go back to a simple life nor approves of it.
Well I experienced all lifestyles, and I believe my grandparents knew something that most folks these days never learned, I feel fortunate to have met them and learned from them and I shall definitely pass it on, reality is you need some room, high population areas while they present their opportunities they have their shortcomings, in a sense that all is good as long as everybody does their job,
I had a garden in the backyard. in principle. got lots of produce through the summer months, always canned some stuff, again just for the principle but never done enough to last through the winter, I look forward to the day I move and the first year that I don't depend on everybody else, I may still keep my job, if I have time for it

#34 ·
have problems understanding HOW stupid some can be .. ( I literally grew up in the woods with nothing, no stores within 10 mi. ) .. when i first moved into this area it was not uncommon (several times a month) for the electricity to go out .. was late Oct and raining and the lights 'went out'. watched 3 neighbors jump in the cars and go downtown for dinner cause they couldnt 'cook' !! auto light on the stove wouldnt work cause no sparky sparky !! ( guess they never heard of matches ) 5 min later they were back cause things in town were closed cause of NO POWER ! (DUH) they were astounded that i was standing in the garage with the door open barBquen ! with a pot of beans on the side while waiting for the steak !! one neighbor actually walked over n said "didnt know you could barBque in the winter " LOLOLOL "TRUE STORY " " n this area aint not even a city "

#36 ·
I BBQ year round too. I do not BBQ in the rain, my grill is out in the yard exposed to the rain. I do have a quick shade that I could put up to stay out of the rain, but it would be much simpler to just light the gas stove in the kitchen, and make a big pot of soup for those cold, rainy days of winter.

#37 ·
I never had a gas BBQ, I don't get it, I can do that on the stove if I want to, when I moved into this neighborhood, I got some scraps, pipe, angle, concrete, couple oven grates and the sheet metal from a washing machine ( serviced appliances at the time ), and welded up a grill standing on the 2 pieces of pipe cemented into the ground, never had to gather firewood either, I have an old oak in the backyard, every so often a limb falls off, what else was I going to do with it?? call a tree service????

over the years I had to put some patches on it, at some point I rebuilt it, its due again, I remembered inviting some neighbors for lunch once, they loved the fries, they asked where we got them from they have to have them, we said: ahh the produce store!!!, wow I did not know they carried fries there they say, ......., ahhh there's couple isles of it, you got Michigan spuds, Idaho spuds, who knows where from spuds, comes in bags of 5lbs to 50 lbs, have your pick, peel them slice them throw them in a cast iron pot of lard ( bought a live pig from an Amish farm earlier that year ) over the open fire while you wait for the coals, before you throw your meats on.

Little did I know they sell frozen, sliced and spiced fries in a bag, never noticed it, doubt I ever walked through that isle come to think of it, apparently these folks had no idea you can make fries from potatoes either, yeah no wonder they loved them they never ate anything that did not come out of a bag before.

you should see my neighborhood when the power goes out, everybody has a generator, I have to leave home and go camping or something cant stand it, you can feel the ground shaking under your feet , and there's no way in hell I can get any sleep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.