A little money to spend

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mvmtoys, Jul 26, 2012.

1. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

Alright guys and gals, you all were very helpful with my last post,and like I mentioned I am new to reloading I purchased the Lee challanger anniversary kit,a couple manuals and a loading block, got a little money to spend and want to make the most of it. I have no way to clean brass so I am looking at puchasing the Hornaday sonic cleaner, My thought on this is I like the fact that it gets the primer pocket clean along with the inside of the brass and I can use it to clean up bolts and trigger assemblies on my rifles, without the mess of a tumbler, also looking at a lathe style case trimmer, a set of calipers, a case lenght gauge,and a digital set of scales. Although I do have a scale that came with the kit just not digital.
    I have the reloading bug bad and want to buy every gadget I see at the moment, So I am looking for all of your input on what would actually be benifitul to me, or if you see something that I didnt mention that you think would be better please let me know. Thanks
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What calibers will you be reloading?
  3. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

for now 30 06 and 9mm
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If you buy a good set of calipers, you won't really need the case length gauges. If you load .223 or .308 you might need the gauges that tell you that you are within specs for semi-auto rifles.

Digital scales are a good investment.

The type of case trimmer that you mention is harder to use than the cheap ole Lee cutter and length gauge. I just bought a used one and don't like it as much as the Lee things even if it faster.

I am sure there is something you missed but I can't see it right this minute.
  5. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

thanks I already have the lee case trimmer so maybe I will just stick with that for now, any recommendations on who makes a good set of calipers
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The HDY sonic cleaner is a good buy. little too spensive for my tastes as fine cob works just fine for me in a vibratory, but it will serve you well and you can use it to clean gun parts as well.

The loading kit came with everything you need for reloading. I would add to it a good trimmer. I use the LEE trimmer and lock studs with the cartridge specific trim length gauges. they work best for me because I anneal all my bottleneck rifle brass using the lock stud and shell hoder to turn the case in a drill over a torch flame. also add a flash hole deburring tool, Lyuman makes a great one for 12 bucks. A spare inside/outside chamfer tool, mainly because the LEE one is too small and will make your fingers sore. Lyman and RCBS make really good ones for little money. Also look into a secondary means of priming cases. I recommend a Lee auto prime 2, which is press mounted VS the LEE auto prime hand primer that came with the kit and will make priming hundreds of cases much easier on your fingers. Plus I find it easier to seat primers consistently on the press.. Lets see, a second and maybe even a 3rd manual too. The kit should have came with the Lee 2nd, add to it the Hdy 8th and the Lyman 49th. As for scales.. I dont much care for digitals as they are finicky about holding zero. I use an RCBS 502 beam and it is spot the hell on day in and day out. The LEE beam is pretty good too but being lightweight plaztik it sways easily so you cant breathe while youre weighing charges. A good use for a digital scale would be weight sorting brass and bullets, as that process takes forever anyway and using a beam to do it just takes longer. Thats about all I can think of right now.. Im sure more will come as the thread progresses.

BTW, welcome to reloading, one of the more fruitful divisions of our second ammendment rights.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

oh yeah, calipers.. I have a fowler digital accurate to .0005 and i love it. RCBS and Lyman make good reloading calipers in the 50 dollar price range.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    One thing that they don't include in this kit is a kinetic bullet puller, and you will need one, sooner, or later!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep a must have and they are less than 15 bucks
  10. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

I should have mentioned that I already have the Lyman 49th manual on order and I have the ABC of reloading 8th edition and the manual that comes with the kit. I will deffintily look into the lee autoprimer, I havent reloaded anything yet so just trying to get set up and my brass ready, I will be picking up my powder, bullets and primers when I make my trip to bass pro and get everything at once, just trying to figure out what else I may need thanks
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have been sitting back reading this thread. It is kind of cool watching a newbie get into this. You will have to post some pics of your set up.
  12. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Harbor Freight is your friend, I bought their sonic cleaner and love it. It was 50ish after coupons. It is big and affordable. The only issue, is really a non issue to me, is the timer is only 6 or 8 minutes, so you have to turn it back on. I did spend the money on the hornady cleaning solution though the internet recipes work but you really have to work not to get corrosion. You already said about the primer pockets, so you must know it is highly recommended to deprime first. I bought my calipers from HF also. Good luck, be safe and have fun!
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Digital scales are convenient but for me a balance beam type scale is a necessity because you can use it without power. Plus, it is old school and I think that old school tends to go out the window and become forgotten. But that is just me.
  14. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I myself have no choice to use the digital calipers at work (supplied tools) and i will say that i dont care for them as you will be "O'ing" them most of the time. Now i use at home a good pare of Dial Calipers they will hold the "O" and no calibration every few min. I feel that they are more acurite to use. Yes digital are faster to read,but when you get use to a good set of dials you will whizz right along. JMO. I am working with one of the tool room guys at work and we are making a "GO" and "NO GO" tooling for my rifle brass. I will post a pick up some time this weekend of the 2 that we have done. One is for .243 and the other is for .270 I have been thinking of making a few extra to sell and maybe one or two for the giveaways.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  15. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* Member

One more thing I havent heard anyone mention a primer pocket uniformer and reamer. I use themand think it makes a difference but others may not think of them as a neccesity.Go ahead and buy a few extra neck brushes in all sizes for just a few bucks, maybe another handle or two. I use the Lee lock and stud cutter to trim my brass and think they work well. If you are wanting to reload and put back midwayusa has some stirofoam trays and carboard boxes that are great I think they are around 15.00 for 25, the plastic ones are nice but not to stock up and store ammo in ( my opinion). Good luck and welcome to the obsession of reloading and be carefull and pay attention. post some pictures of your bench when you get it finished.