A little money to spend

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mvmtoys, Jul 26, 2012.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Something else you will need is loading blocks. Some advice here. I've been reloading for 35 years, and I find it best for me to turn my brass in the loading blocks so that I can easily see where I am. Resized brass, with no primers, but clean primer pockets are open end down in my block, primer hole up. As I prime them they return to the block oriented in the same direction, primer up. As I add powder they are of course, turned up right with the powder in them. There is no doubt that the brass with the primer up has no powder in them. A good light above the work area lets you look into the brass that has been charged with powder. A double load will be easy to spot, and correct. Using the primer up method I have never had a double load in the loading block. I can walk away, and come back later. One quick look tells me which cases have powder, and which ones don't.
  2. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

[​IMG] Here is a pic of my bench so far, I know it is a bit small but had to work with the space I had, When we get done with the addition on the house I will have a room just for reloading and my guns, but until then I guess this will have to do. Built the bench with things I had laying around the house so didnt cost me a dime. Let me know what you think
  3. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

I forgot to mention not only did my wife buy me my reloading equipment for my birthday, but she let me put the reloading bench in the bedroom. I think I'll keep her.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Good looking setup. You are going to outgrow it pretty quick, though.

Yep, I would keep her. My wife doesn't even want my "junk" in the house at all.
  5. Mike1959

Mike1959 New Member

yep, she's a keeper!
  6. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Have fun reloading. From your list, my first pick would be calipers, hands down. I never felt like I needed a sonic case cleaner, but I did go for an electronic scale several years ago. I first bought a cheap one and wasn't real happy with it and then got a Dillon and love it--simple, accurate, and fast.
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Daughter bought me a Mitutoyo digimatic for fathers day a year back; man I luv that caliper; worth every penny.

I prefer beam scales, don't even use the digital scale anymore.

Really like those Frankford loading blocks (blue ones) Have about 20 of them now, buy a few everytime I see them on sale.

Primer pocket brush combo RCBS $15

One shot, wax, ect
  8. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Looks good! I would have to say she is a keeper!
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's a great start. Your wife is a keeper and I hope you teach her to shoot too. Are you going to let her place her make-up mirror above the bench and her jewelry box on it too? :D
  10. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

Thats where Im lucky my wife loves to shoot, was going to get her a pistol for home defense and she wanted nothing to do with it, Her pick was a pump shotgun,:) and as long as she doesnt mind a little gun powder in her blush then I will hang her mirror where ever she tells me to. We all know you have to keep momma happy.
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is awesome.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

As far as cleaners go, that's going to have to be up to you. Vibratory cleaners don't get the primer pockets or insides as clean as a sonic but with a sonic you have the wait time for drying.

You'll never have to trim pistol brass so I would say go with Lee case trimmer for the 30-06 cases.

Ditch the Lee scale and go with a RCBS, Redding, Hornady or Lyman beam scale.

You can never have to many loading manuals. Especially on for the powder you're using and one for the bullet company.

Imperial sizing wax will make resizing your rifle brass so much easier.

Calipers, I picked my digitals up at Northern Tool.

You may want to look into a good digital scale in the future as well.

A kinetic bullet puller, cuz you will need it sooner or later.