A long day at the range with the Old Guys

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by todd51, Jun 9, 2012.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

It was a long day at the range yesterday for three of the Old Guys. We left at 8:30 in the morning and didn't get back home till 6:30 in the evening but darned if we didn't have a good old time and the weather was beautiful. Yesterday was rim fire day for us. We don't have any fancy equipment and shot the same stuff we usually do when it is rim fire time.

Beretta Neos .22lr/Simmons Red dot. (Bob's)
    Ruger MK III Target/Burris Fastfire red dot. (Todd's)
    Ruger MK III Hunter/Burris 4x scope. (Todd's)
    Winchester Wildcat .22lr w/ Barska scope. (Jim's)
    Ruger 10/22 Target bull barrel with BSA Sweet 22 scope. (Todd's)
    Savage 93 .17HMR w/ BSA air rifle scope. (Bob's)

Jim's S&W 22A is still at the smith trying to get a nasty habit of not feeding the second round in a 10 round mag.

Ammo was mostly Wolf Match Target and CCI Standard Velocity both in 40gr RN.

We are pretty much 50 yard shooters because the groups seem to open up when we go to 100 yards, ha. But that doesn't keep us from trying but the results are nothing to brag about other than the fun.

The Neos and the Ruger MK III Target were pretty much shot off hand at the 50 foot mark as we have a bunch of stuff set up at that distance including golf balls, spinners, flippers, tin cans, lollypops and etc. If we concentrate hard enough we can give those golf balls a spin but dang it is hard to keep that little red dot from flitting around like ticked off fly.

There was time spent just sitting in the shade drinking coffee and gabbing. There was of course a lunch break for sandwiches. There was a lot a complaining that there was no place to lay down for an after lunch nap.

We set up some more paint balls at 50 yard and splattered some. But some played hard to get and took more than one shot to splatter. The balls were purple on cardboard and out there in the shaded shooting lane they became hard to see. Well that is the best excuse we could come up with to explain the misses. But those paint balls do get small out there at 50 yards.

There was some good shooting and some not so good shooting but a heck of a good time shared between friends.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Todd-
    Looks as though you guys had a great time!! Great shooting also!! You gave me some ideas to try the next time I get to the range.....That extended time out shooting sounds very similar to when I go....I usually have at least 6-8 weapons sometimes more....and a whole day just seems to fly by.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Oh Boo Hoo, you didn't get into the bullseye. You big phoney, those are bragging groups and you know it. Now turn around so I can pat you on the back so you don't strain your shoulder. :D

Great shooting. especially since a lot of people have a dim view of 10/22 accuracy and are more concerned about how many rounds they can burn off instead of the targets to be hit.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Grump, yea I was a little bit pleased with the shooting we all did yesterday. They don't always go like that. My 10/22 is the bull barrel and stock except for a Volquartsen trigger group I put in it last year. I envy those customized 10/22 but my pocket book won't handle that expense. I wish I could explain just how much enjoyment a bunch of old farts get plinking way together.
  5. doubs43

doubs43 New Member

What a wonderful way to spend a beautiful day! That's some good shootin' too!

A few friends and I were on the range one day when one fellow's nephew and a couple of his friends happened by. They immediately dubbed us the "Granddaddy Day Care Bunch".

Funny thing; when they shot against us we cleaned their clocks and now we can't get them to come back! :p
  6. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

A long day at the range with the Old Guys
    Is what my daughter calls all of our shooting trips Randy
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Todd nothing wrong with that shooting nice job
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would call you out and challenge you but I can't stand to lose. Nice shooting.
  9. tbspeed1

tbspeed1 New Member

just go out to enjoy the day of shooting. I go out just to get away from wife and kids.
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's some good groups Todd!
    The 100 with the MkIII hunter is good shooting by any standards.
    When I first began shooting longer ranges with handguns, my groups looked FAR worse than that, NICE shooting!
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Sounds like a GOOD way to spend the day.

Even though you obviously couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. :devilish:

pickenup ducks
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hey Todd how about putting up a picture of Mark 111
  13. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Here you go Beth

Attached Files:

14. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful gun.