A new Ruger LCR for me

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gdmoody, Aug 23, 2009.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

So far, I love it. It is so light that you can forget that you have it in your pocket. I took it to the range last week along with about 6 other pistols but dummy here forgot to take the .38 ammo so I haven't really tested it other than at about 12 yards in the back yard. I really want to shoot it at 20 to 25 yards, to me that is a real test of accuracy.
  2. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Just placed my order on one today. So it is time to bump an old thread for more info.

I am applying for a CCW in California (wish me luck), and I thought this would be a great carry for me. The size and weight would allow me to carry it anytime and anywhere.
    Few questions though;

1. Any further range reports from anyone here?
    2. Suggestions on 38 +p ammo (never owned a 38 before)
    3. GRIPS. Can anyone find aftermarket wood grips?
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Moody, you said you got a Desantis pocket holster for your LCR. Have you by now picked a belt or paddle holster for it and if so what do you like?

I purchased a LCP back before the LCR came on the market. I have had no function problems with the LCR but I have long fingers and just can't seem to get the muscle memory imprinted to get my trigger finger in there. I carry in a Fobus plastic paddle holster and so have that trigger finger straight coming out and it is always a problem getting it in the guard. If that guard was longer it would be better for me. I am seriously considering a LCR and then see if I can't find a home for the LCP. I used to carry a S&W 649 and liked everything but the weight. The weight was the reason I got the LCP plus it was a new toy on the market. I am much more accurate with the 649 than with the LCP. I was looking at Fobus' Evolution Paddle Roto holster for the LCR which would give cross draw capability if desired. Just curious what you are using now since you have had the new revolver for a while.

Todd
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Heck I forgot you are on vacation. Enjoy. Talk later.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Heres one with the Crimson Trace laser sights. It came with them from Ruger.

Attached Files:

6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have sold a few of those myself and everyone loves them. If anyone else is interested, I have one for 419.00.
  7. The Frisco Kid

The Frisco Kid New Member

My God that's ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  8. gdmoody

Gunclinger - I am curious of how the crimson trace grip is attached to the LCR. Is it a one piece thing that you have to remove same as the grip?

todd - I have not bought a belt holster of any kind for it yet. I have thought of the Fobus but just haven't got around to buying one. Thanks, I had a great time in Hawaii, but I'll tell you that I just couldn't afford to live there!!
  9. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Grips . .. Grips . . .Grips

Anyone find any wood grips for these yet?
    The Hogue and CT are cool and all, but I like wood.

I pick mine up on Sunday (stupid 'cooling off period') and I want wood.
  10. TheGunClinger

Looks like a two piece grip. Two screws on the left side, split down the middle.
  11. davera

davera New Member

Friend of mine bought his wife a new Ruger LCR, at a gun show. Felt great and very small and light. But she put it down after firing it twice, and said "I'm sorry, I just don't like it". Have seen some pretty big men at a gun range also say that it beat's the crap out of your hand. It's a great idea, just too small for the caliber. Difficult to shoot accurately.
  12. keokeboy

keokeboy Member

Got me one 447.23 academy removed the front sight,and will install hiviz green and take it to the range this weekend. If I really like it,will get a crimson trace
  13. gdmoody

I have had mine for over a year now. I have probably only put 300 round through it and I still love it. I have not bought any other holster for it so I still use the Desantis pocket one.

I took it out shooting last week and while firing it, I thought I had developed a problem with it. Each time I would open the cylinder to extract the spent cases, it would be just a little harder to open. Then the cylinder would not open at all. I thought of the problems that other folks said that they had with the LCR and I thought "Oh Crap, I guess it is my turn". I laid it down and shot something else for a while and then came back to it. I thought about it and decided I would look at the ejector rod and discovered that it had been unscrewing a little each time I had fired the gun. I screwed it down a little until I could open the cylinder and then screwed it down tight. That fixed the problem, which really wasn't a problem at all, just lack of proper PM.
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's a fine revolver you have there gdmoody and good shooting as well!
    I personally like the LCR's and been looking at one to buy at a later date as a carry gun maybe. Nice and compact and does the job...and from your range report, accurate as well!
  15. TheGunClinger

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  16. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on that. IMO, to small for .357cal., or for me anyways. It would be a handfull!
  17. keokeboy

keokeboy Member

took my new lcr and my ruger gp 100 to the range yesterday and had a blast shooting both of my rugers no problems after 100 rds through the lcr. will get a ct soon.