A Nice Winter Project

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Freebore, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Freebore

Freebore New Member

At a gunshow yesterday I picked up these four RCBS "A" series presses, they date from about 1949 on up. there are two "2A's, an "A", and a pre-A model with no designation. All are fully functional. The second press I ever purchased was an A2 and I still regret selling it, but I guess this makes up for it as the A series are getting harder to find. I find it hard beleve that one guy had four of them...?

These will be completely rebuilt and refinished over the winter

Attached Files:

• A21.jpg
      A21.jpg
      File size:
      106.8 KB
      Views:
  2. mikld

mikld Active Member

Press on the far right; is the "attachment" on the left side a part of the mounting system or ??
  3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

thats pretty cool! cant wait to see them refurbed.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I know you will do a beautiful job on them!! Be sure to show the finished results.
  5. Freebore

Freebore New Member

The mounting bracket on back of this press is actually part of the press itself and not an add-on, This is the first RCBS press I've seen with this kind of attachment. In the pic below, look at the toggle assembly (also a first for me). This press has a reversed stroke whereas pushing down on the handle lowers the ram.

All four of the presses have Orville, Calif on the front of the castings, the only reference to RCBS is found stamped into the top of this one (RCBS Pat. Pend.).

My guess is that this is a very early version of the "A" series and somewhat rare, because of this, I may not refurbish it, but rather just give it a good cleaning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  6. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Other picture of mounting assembly

Attached Files:

7. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Just completely finished rebuilding the RCBS A press.........the old girl never looked so good

Attached Files:

8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Absolutely awesome work Freebore keep it up! Someday you 'll let us in on your "secrets" to such fine rehab work? Very nice.
  9. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Very nice work Freebore, it looks like new.
  10. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

That looks amazing!!!!!!!!!! Nice Job!
  11. bucksnducks

bucksnducks New Member

Great job Freebore! Looks like a new one.
  12. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

wow...that is amazing. If I see any in the future, I will send them to you to refurbish.

J
  13. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Man you do great work. I'd love to find some old presses like that. I really like old equipment of almost any kind.
  14. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Thanks for posting, I always enjoy seeing your handywork, keep the pics coming!
  15. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

You're an ANIMAL!! :D How many hrs. do you have in this last refurb? & what kind of paint do you use?

I've got a thing about rescuing old presses too & this next week I'm thinking about having a go @ that old Rockchucker I was telling you about. I tried to get it from my Brother, but as soon as I showed any interest in it, he figured that it's got some sort of hidden value :rolleyes:, & now will have it buried w/ him. As it sits now, it's only a rusty paperweight.

I would have to agree! IMHO, someone wanting to build a period era display would pay more for an un-restored press.

Speaking of displays..... when are you gunna post a few pictures of your collection? That's me assuming that you have them all set up & ready to use. Whenever you show off another finished 'project', I save the pictures in my "Reloading" folder. ;)

SR
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010