A piece of history

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by foxfire, Mar 9, 2007.

1. foxfire

foxfire New Member

I want to share with you pictures of an Austrian made pistol (non firing) that my great grandfather, E.A.Barnes, carried on his pocket watch chain. The barrel is 6 sided and bored out. In the pictures it looks gold but is of a silver color. On the top of the barrel it is stamped AUSTRIA. That's all the markings I can find on it. My grandfather was a special agent on the MKT Railroad for 25 years or more. His father was captain A.B.Barnes of the Confederate Army. Caught by the yankees and escaped in a pickel barrel (all documented in Austin Texas). Enjoy

View attachment 12871
    View attachment 12868

View attachment 12869

View attachment 12870
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

This little pistol has been manufactured for at least 70 years in Europe and in Japan. They came in two versions, one firing blanks only and one firing a tiny pellet. They were sold by mail order in the Johnson Smith catalog (anyone old enough to remember that?) for as little as $1.95. I have a couple of them in my collection, including some brand new ones with a small supply of ammo. I think that today they could bring around $50.00 or so.
  3. foxfire

foxfire New Member

Wow, Wonder whippet. You just blew me away with that information. Thankyou for giving me a boost in the sentimental department.