A PLEASUREABLE EXPERIENCE INDEED .....

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/2/03 10:23:41 am)
    Reply A PLEASUREABLE EXPERIENCE INDEED .....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While at work last night I was walking along the sidewalk out in front of the establishment and up ahead was a young man (19-20 yrs I'd say) speaking with someone on the public phone. The sidewalk itself is quite wide and theres more than enough room for several people wide without stepping off the curb yet as I neared he glanced at me and moved inward as I walked by and said "excuse me sir" as if what he meant in an apologetic way for taking up room on the walkway ... which he actually was not .....

As I passed by I briefly nodded and positioned myself a bit farther down from his location. After a few minutes had passed he then hung up the phone and began walking towards his vehicle which was a bit farther down from me and as he approached me I simply said to him "Hows everything going this evening"? .....

He answered politely with "Fine sir" ... "I was merely saying my good-byes as I am on my way to Kuwait, as my Guard Unit was just activated" .....

He had that look on his face as so many of us did back in the sixties (and I'm sure during the other conflicts since) so I took advantage of the moment and as I came closer to him I stretched out my hand and asked "Mind if I tell you something" to which he complied as he grasped my hand in a firm handshake while I looked him square in the eyes .....

At that time while continually shaking his hand I said to him ....

"I merely want to say thank you for what you are doing for our country" .....

It just so happens that I was wearing my VVA baseball type hat with the VVA Logo and a few pins I have stuck in tne front of it ... such as "Combat Vet" ... "I Corps" ... Our Regimental Colors pin and a few others ......

As I was making my statement he was looking up at my hat and he then said to me .....

"And I sir see that you are a Vietnam Veteran and I as well want to thank you for what you did during your time" .....

I immediately shot him a quick thank you and asked if I could add something else here to which he complied .....

I told him that if I were at all able I would gladly stand by him and the others and that I was proud of him and I wished for him a safe return. I also said to this young man .... "Do me a favor and don't let anything you hear or read about whats going on back here on the homefront with all this anti this and that deter you in any way and that I wanted him to know that the majority of us here back home stand behind him and his comrades 110 %" ......

With that we released our handshake and just before he disappeared out of sight into his vehicle he took a brief moment to pause and point in my direction while saying .....

"I appreciate that sir and it is good to know that there are people like you that stand behind us ..... because we need that" .....

With that I said ... "You take care sir and may God bless and bring you home safely" .....

I felt good .....

Six Out!

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (3/2/03 11:10:06 am)
    Reply Re: A PLEASUREABLE EXPERIENCE INDEED .....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What a wonderful thing you did for the young man Gunner---you encouraged him and reassured him. I'm sure he will always remember the occasion---'tis the things good stories are made of---true grit!!! Semper Fi Marine. wilborn

cricket328
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/2/03 1:47:37 pm)
    SixT,

That was a great thing that you did. It brought tears to my eyes. I for one feel as you do, and wish there was a way to let all of our military know that we are behind them. As you know my son and son-in-law are in the Navy and I worry about them, but I also support them. Thanks for being kind to that young man.

*hugs*

Chris

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/2/03 4:18:26 pm)
    Enjoyed reading of your experience Six.

If more people would pay attention they just might run into a circumstance just like this and just think what it can do to the morale of a troop headed for the possible war. You already learned that......thanks for taking the time to pay attention to another.

Hope

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/4/03 5:54:36 pm)
    Outstanding!!

Good job, Marine!

berto

Endeaver to Persevere<br>